The Firearms Forum banner

Need help identifying a few long guns

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Twicepop 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings Everyone,
I'm purchasing a small collection from the widow of a good friend who recently passed away. I've excluded the firearms I've been able to identify myself and included 1 that I'm fairly confident of the manufacturer but unsure of the model. Getting more pictures or information might be difficult.

I'd like to enlist the expertise of the forum in identifying these firearms I'm looking to purchase. I only need help identifying the manufacturer and possibly model, valuation information is not needed but certainly welcome. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you :)

Note: None should be newer than 2000-2005 and most are probably from the 80's and 90's.

Unknown Bolt Action Rifle w/Scope

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun

• Firpo suggested this might be a Ruger M77
Unknown Bolt Action Rifle

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun

• Gdmoody suggested this might be a sporterized Enfied P17
Unknown Semi-auto Shotgun

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

• I originally thought this was a Browning Maxus but it's probably too old for that. I'm still thinking along the lines of Browning, but most older models have a hump where the receiver meets the butt.
  • Besides the jeweled bolt, no other distinguishing features are visible.
Remington 700 Wingmaster Left-Hand

Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Gun accessory

• Appears to have a (faint) wildlife engraving on receiver.
  • Cutout on forend doesn't look standard for a Wingmaster.
  • Possibly a commemorative or non-Wingmaster special edition?
[Edit]Removed recently identified, thank you!

See less See more
#3 ·
There must be some sort of roll stamp on them. Please post pictures. The one with the black synthetic stock looks a lot like my Ruger M77.

Reactions: Big Mak
#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome and replies, it is much appreciated :) I'm going to look further into some of the manufacturers suggested as that's way further than I've gotten so far. The semi-automatic shotgun really stumped me as I thought I had it nailed down to a Browning. Ah well!

Unfortunately, these are the only pictures that were sent to me by my friend's widow. I wasn't even aware she was selling his collection and when she asked me, these pictures had already been taken. If I knew beforehand I would've suggested she take pictures of the markings but alas, this is all I have to go on. Getting more pictures will be difficult as the family still dealing with the estate and none of them are really familiar with firearms.

The entire collection right now is in a safe and I'm basically buying the whole lot. It's quite possible that the next opportunity for me to take pictures is when I'll be picking everything up for transport. Anyway, thanks again everyone and I really appreciate the suggestions!

[Edit] Oh and I wasn't sure about posting many small threads vs. one large thread as I know that is sometimes frowned upon. If that is an acceptable approach I'll definitely consider it should this thread not work out. Thanks for the suggestion.

#8 ·
Well, first off, a Remington 700 is a bolt action rifle, not a pump shotgun.

Secondly, Remington Wingmaster triggergroups are held in with two cross pins, not screws.

And thirdly, that is an Ithaca 37 with a deer barrel on it. The lug on the bottom of the barrel, at the foreend, verifies what the IT visible on the pistolgrip cap suggests. :)

Reactions: joe45c
#9 ·
That could be, as George said, a sporterized 1917. But Remington took that gun and made a civilian version, after the war. The Remington Model 30. So it could be one of them.

But I agree. With that bolt handle and safety, it's a 1917-based gun.

#10 ·
The sythetic stocked rifle. I agree, it's an older Ruger 77. They were the only bolt gun I'm aware of with a tang safety, and they also had that thingy in the triggerguard to open the magazine.

#11 ·
Near as I can tell from your picture, the semi auto shotgun
is a Winchester Model 1 Super X

So---
Ruger 77 tang safety
Some version of the P14/P17 sporterized Enfield
Winchester Model 1 Super X
Ithaca 37, either a "Deerslayer" model or a 37 with a slug barrel.

#13 ·
Yep, that last one is an Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer shotgun. I have one and last night did not have access to it, this morning I took mine out and compared, hard to tell in the picture but looks like the same etching on the right side of it and serial number is in the same place. Since the empty shell ejects through the bottom, it could be thought of a left handed!

NOTE: The one in the picture is not much older than mine since that Serial number starts with 3714 and mine starts with 3717.

#14 ·
That Ithaca is either '74 or '75, depending on whether that is 3714 or 3715. I can't tell.

George, depending on the rest of the number, yours is either late '81, '82 or early '83.

#15 ·
I don't know Alpo, I seem to remember buying it new in the mid-70's. I could be wrong though, the decade of the 70's is kind of cloudy in my mind (I used to drink a little).

EDIT: I just went and looked at it again, the SN# on mine is 371478733 and then I searched for Ithaca serial numbers and see that it was made in 1975. SO, my memory is not as bad as I thought it might be!:rolleyes::cool:

#16 ·
Now you gots to be givin' out wif the right info. First you said 3717 and now you're sayin' 37147.

You sure 'bout that number now? Black, black, no change back! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.