need help identifying a gun?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Zane71464, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I have (what I believe) to be a russian Mosin Nagant bolt action rifle,
    7.62x54R caliber. I have had it for years now and shot it when I first got it and it does shoot very well. However, I'd like to know just what "make/model" it is, or who made it. I'm totally confused on indetifying the gun...is it russian or finnish made? I have attached some picture of it and they show about all the stampings on the gun. It just isnt stamped as to just exactly what it is...and doesnt even tell the caliber. I only know that for the fact I took it to the gun shop to buy ammo for it. The only stampings I can find on it without disassembling the gun totally is what the pictures show.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also would like to know the value of it as well...(gave $100 for it)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. selleck2

selleck2 New Member

3. Zane71464

I also was wondering the value of the gun? I would (assume) around 100 bucks without knowing much about it.
  4. selleck2

selleck2 New Member

Most shops/dealers sell Mosins @89.00-139.00 so you are correct.Keep in mind if it is a finnish re-arsenal it may be slightly higher.
  5. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Date shown is 1941, is it on barrel or reciever....post picture of reciever. The rear sight looks like a early (dragoon or westinghouse )one, the imperial crest shown makes me wonder, as this mark would not fit the 1941 date shown. Post detail pictures as the value is affected by age/import marks and reciever mfgr.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that triangle with the T in it is Tula Arsenal, which makes it Russian.

edit: And then again, maybe not. I just checked my books, and while I can't find THAT mark, the Tula marks I do find, the triangle is going the other way. The point is at the top of the letter, not the bottom. So, I don't know. Although that does appear to be a Russian eagle, what I can see of it.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

My best guess if that you have a very early 1891, probably made in France by Chatellerault for the Czarist Imperial Army, captured from or purchased from the Russians and was rebuilt in 1941 with a Finnish TIKKA (T in inverted triangle) barrel. Collector interest should be pretty high on this piece - value, rough estimate, between $300 and $450 if you can find the right person.
  8. Zane71464

Ok, Ill get some more detailed pics on here of all marks on the reciever and so forth, unfortunatly my son has my camera, but will get more on here asap.
    I hope to get my camera back tonight. VERY interesting as to the posts that you all posted about this. I looked up a few that was on a site and they were all marked like russian 7.62x54rh and what so forth...just looks like this one would have more info stammed on it or something, however when I get my camera back I'll definatly get some more detailed pictures posted and maybe you guys can read more from it. I thank you all for the info thus far!
    Zane
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is an old Model 1891, rebarrelled at Tula in 1941, when hundreds of thousands of the old rifles were being repaired and refurbished for the new war. A lot of history there but, unfortunately, not a lot of value. $100-150, I would guess.

Jim
  10. Zane71464

Ok, Great! I was just getting ready to put more picturs on here. Well that's just what I was looking for Jim. Just one of those "need to know" kind of things.
    About 15yrs ago my cousin came out wanting to wheel and deal and had this gun with his others. He had a bunch of shells for it and we fired the daylights out of it and it was fun to shoot. But after buying a 45 long colt lever action and a Browning 12ga auto off him he thru in the Nagant. (imagine that) lol
    So it's been a wall hanger of sorts since then. But after staring at it in the den for some time I got it down and thought I'd try and find out just exactly what it was. Thank you and all the others for the good info on the gun!
    Zane
  11. Zane71464

Oh...just had to post this picture as well...it's on the left side of the barrel and it is a... SA inside a square. Wonder what that means?

Attached Files:

12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, here I am with egg all over my face; I really goofed. That Triangle T is a Finnish proof mark and the gun was captured by the Finns and rebarrelled in Finland. The SA is the Finnish Army property mark, and definitely establishes the Finnish connection. (There is no doubt about the rebarrelling; the old imperial eagle makes the original manufacturing date before the Communist revolution in 1917.)

So, the rifle has even more history, and I apologize for my error, but the value, alas, has not increased.

Jim
  13. Zane71464

Oh okay, and no problem and thank you for the history information of it! I think its interesting just knowing about guns (older) and all guns history.
    The ones I do own I always try and find out what I can on them so when I pass them on to my son, it will save him alot of time...but on the other hand, that's the fun part of it not knowing and then taking the time to do the research and finding out. Maybe if more of the younger generation would take the time to do such things,,,well maybe they would be spending their time more wisely. That's what I tell me son anyways.
  14. Monkey Hollow

Monkey Hollow Member

As referenced by Jim K above, the "SA" is the property mark, and translated, literally means STATE ARSENAL.
  15. Zane71464

Okay, another good point/fact to add to my notes on it. Appreciate that.