Need help identifying an old revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by onit12345, Jul 2, 2011.

1. onit12345

onit12345 New Member

I've searched and searched but can’t find any good info on an old gun I have. The proof marks are crown over crown over U, from what I understand this is Simson Co suhl. Trying to find a year and model and make sure this is the correct manufacture. Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Crown/U was not a company mark, it was the German definitive proof mark before 1939; the Crown standing alone is the proof mark for revolvers. Their presence, and the side safety, indicate that your pistol is of German origin, probably made between 1880 and 1914. It is the equivalent of the inexpensive American revolvers of roughly the same period. In Germany before WWI, those guns sold for about 10 Marks, or about $2.50 in (then) U.S. dollars, or about the same price as the American revolvers of comparable quality.

Most of those revolvers were products of the so-called "guild" system, where small shops made parts, which were then assembled by larger shops. Since the product was a cooperative enterprise, no maker's name was put on.

Value? In that condition, probably $100-150, maybe a bit more.

Jim
  3. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

It may be roughly eqivalent to our cheaper American revolvers of the same era, but IMHO its alot more interesting looking. Is that a folding trigger? I'd rather have it than two Iver Johnson's of comparable size and caliber. Maybe that's because the IJ's are so plentiful here.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I wonder about the caliber, maybe 22, but I would bet .25. I could make a wonderfull shadow box display with that. Light blue background with some old German coins and paper moner as support.:)
  5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I have an identical revolver that I gave $.25 for. A friend gave a pack of Camel cigarettes for it in Europe and made me pay him a quarter for it. Caliber is about.30. I made a case from a .32 short and fired it one time with a very light powder charge just to say I had fired it. The trigger folds up, To drop trigger down you push forward the base of trigger. It will then fire double action.
    The barrel and frame are one piece
  6. onit12345

onit12345 New Member

Thank you all for your help!!! I def plan on holding on to it just cause I think it looks cool, maybe do a photo box as suggested.
    Now any way to get parts, or something that would work? Even thou im not gonna fire it I just would like it to be 100% functioning. What is broken is a spring that sits under the cylinder to reset the trigger once fired. See attached photos

Attached Files:

7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I can make your spring, if you send the old one.