The Firearms Forum banner

Need Help Identifying European Rifle

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jim K 
#1 ·
Hi, we have a rifle that we are not quite sure exactly what it is (as in maker or model). The only things we have been able to find based on the proofs is that it is definitely Austrian made, possibly in Vienna, and that it is made no later than 1918. 5.6mm centerfire.

Here are some pics of it. The only other marking on it is "303" on the underside of the receiver. Any help identifying this would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's called a "rook" rifle, for keeping pests out of your garden. Most likely in 5.6x33 rimless. I can't make out the stock cartouche, but that should be the makers emblem. Anything stamped on the bottom side of the barrel or receiver?

#3 ·
There's a "303" on the bottom side of the receiver. "303" is also marked with pencil in the wood and something else that I can't quite make out (also in pencil). I'll try to take more pictures within the next couple hours of the receiver and the wood. Then I'll see what I can do with the stock cartouche. Will more pics of the bolt be helpful?

Thanks for the reply!

#6 ·
The 303 is an assembly number. Those cheap guns usually had no serial number, but they were put together using a lot of fitting and filing so, to make sure the fitted parts got back together after finishing, they were given assembly numbers, sometimes called batch numbers (since the guns were made in batches).

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.