Need Help Identifying Flintlock Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Furry Bolt, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Furry Bolt

Furry Bolt New Member

Hello to all :)

A friend of mine recently purchased a flintlock pistol. The gentleman that he got it from owed him money. To make a long story short. Instead of money he got this flintlock pistol. Since it was a small debt he took it.

He doesn't have a clue in the world what it is. I know from looking at the pic it is a flintlock but that's about how far my expertise on guns go.

Any help would be appreciated. I will post a picture shortly.

Kind regards.

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

We would need better pictures, specifically of the lockplate and of any markings on the gun.

Offhand, it looks like one of the fake pistols sold in Spain and North Africa to tourists, but better pictures and more info would help.

Jim
  3. Furry Bolt

Furry Bolt New Member

Thanks Jim.

I'll ask him for more pics.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A big question is whether it looks, feels and functions like a working gun. Is the barrel fully bored, the parts steel, not zinc or plastic, the cock (hammer) workable and the jaw screw functional? If it really is a highly decorated and gold covered pistol, then there are some other questions that arise as to where it came from.

Jim
  5. Furry Bolt

Furry Bolt New Member

Jim, here are more pictures of the pistol.

My friend has inquired with the guy who paid him with it and said the guy's Dad or grandfather not sure used to be part of a treasure hunting group in the Philippines. They recovered it from somewhere in that area. He goes on to say the group always believed it was from the Spanish era. They actually found three of these flintlocks but only one was passed on.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

With that workmanship, it is almost certainly not a fake or replica. It has a Spanish look, but I am not well enough educated in Spanish guns of that era to be sure. It is hard to believe there are no markings, though.

I suggest that your friend take some good professional quality pictures (8x10, color, no cell phone) and send them to some real experts. The Smithsonian would be one possibility. (One point of concern is how the gun was "recovered"; countries are becoming very touchy about removal of valuable items they may consider part of their heritage.)

Jim
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  7. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

With all due respect to Jim, it looks like a fake to me. The "engraving" appears to be stamped appliques when it should be cut into the metal, the trigger guard should be inlet to the stock and not strip brass sitting on top of the wood. One dead giveaway would be the tightness of the lock--I suspect it is very loose with weak springs. The wood seems to be very porous. A gun with this degree of embellishment should be a fine piece of mechanical workmanship--I don't see any evidence of that.