The Firearms Forum banner

Need help identifying loose parts that came with Rossi Circuit Judge

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  aero 
#1 ·
Can someone identify the parts from left to right in the pic? How is the rifle setup for 45LC and 410?

See less See more
#2 ·
The two things with the key rings are the keys for the lock. Tauruses come with a lock, and since Rossi is made by Taurus, it should also. Should be right behind the hammer. Locking it makes the hammer not cock and the trigger not pull.

The two cylindrical orange things are plugs. For hunting migratory game birds -ducks, geese, dove, stuff like that - your shotgun can only hold three rounds. That's a five-round cylinder, right? You put one of them plugs in two of the chambers and you suddenly have a 3-shot shotgun.

I'm thinking the two black things on the right are a removable choke and the key to install and remove it.

No idea about that orange circle or that thing next to the allen wrench.

The allen wrench is probably for the screws holding the scope-mount on, or maybe the rings that came with it, if there are rings.

#3 ·
Alpo is correct on the parts he mentioned. It's not much help but the orange ring is like a chamber flag. Swing the cylinder out and place the ring over the back end and snap it shut.

#5 ·
Howlin, I thought about that. Ruger does it with their revolvers. But that looks too small, to me. Looks about the right size for a J-frame Smith. 5-shot 38, not a 5-shot 45.

But if that's what it is, I never thought of it as an empty-chamber indicator. I use it, in the Rugers, as a dry-firing device. The firing pin is hitting that nice sturdy piece of nylon. No harm to gun or pin.

#7 · (Edited)
Beginning to think I sort of understand how the Choke works. It is screwed into the barrel either most of the way or at some other setting between screwed in all the way and half way or so depending on how much choke the shooter wants for 410.

Been watching a few YouTube videos on the CJ and they show two choke pieces, I found one in my box, well that's what happens when you buy the store display model..

#8 ·
Maybe the other one is already screwed into the barrel.

If not, you could try writing Rossi and telling them your gun only had the one. They might send you the other 'n.

I was just looking at the owner's manual. http://www.rossiusa.com/pdf/rossi_circuit_judge_manual.pdf

It appears that what that has is a "straight rifled" choke, which has straight grooves, and stops the spinning the rifling gives the shot charge, and a smooth "thread protector", which has no grooves at all, and is only to prevent damaging the choke threads when shooting solid bullet or slugs.

The "straight rifled" choke seems to have "full-choke" constriction.

You could shoot a shot charge with the smooth "thread protector" installed, but the rifling would give you a terrible pattern. If you tried shooting a bullet or slug with the "straight rifled" choke in it, you'd damage the choke, and quite possibly the gun.

According to the American Rifleman article on it, the straight-rifled choke is "full choke", but is screwed all the way in. There is no "screw it partly in to have a more open choke". You screw it all the way in. If you have it partly unscrewed, you allow the choke threads (in the barrel) to be exposed to the shot charge, which will damage them.

#9 · (Edited)
Have my new Rossi CJ figured out for the most part now. Thanks for all the help! I think the small tool looking object second from the left is a Hammer extension, but I'm sure it might work as a shell extractor too.

The Rifle came with the Thread Protector Sleeve installed, but is is so thin I didn't notice it in the barrel and it has reverse threads. . . . Righty is Not tighty! The Thread Protector Sleeve is used for 45 LC and 410 Slugs Only, and the Straight Rifled Choke is for 410 only.

The Rossi Circuit Judge isn't like the Taurus Judge where .410 shells and 45 LC bullets can be put in the cylinder and fired one after another, the Rossi CJ requires the shooter to change out the Choke for different loads, and for some people that is too much work .

Saved 5% when I bought it because the person who bought it before me took it home and couldn't figure out the Choke system. There is one YouTube video that explains the Choke, but not in good enough detail for an amature like myself.

Gonna Love this gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.