1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need help identifying Muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by chrisweber1978, Jan 18, 2011.

1. chrisweber1978

chrisweber1978 New Member

Trying to identify a muzzleloader my dad had. Its missing most of the metal off it. The barrel looks like it says PM stamped above and either tr or ir next to 1811. On the bottom of the stock and where the trigger was its stamped TC in multiple places and help would be great,
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• 198.jpg
      198.jpg
      File size:
      133.9 KB
      Views:
    • 203.jpg
      203.jpg
      File size:
      99.1 KB
      Views:
    • 197.jpg
      197.jpg
      File size:
      137.2 KB
      Views:
  2. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

If i could see a better pick of the lock area, i would have to say that it might be an old flint lock. Is the bbl smooth on the inside? Is the ID about .740? From what i can see it looks very close to British Brown Bess. O ya is the over all length from butt to muzzle about 58"?
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  3. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

That is not a Brown Bess. It is more likely one of the Civil War contract arms.

RC
  4. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

Not Brown Bess - wrong stock shape. Not American contract - alien markings. Could possibly have been a foreign manufacture import for the CW. Need more photos - lock area, barrel from above at lock area, etc.

BullShoot
  5. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Well for one thing that i did not say that it was a Brown Bess. i just said that it " looks very close to a Brown Bess" . That stock is of the European late 1700's to the early 1800's Looked around on the net and did see that the French styles are also very close to the British but not the same . Yes better picks would be nice. For one thing that i was looking at was the ramrod. It has the same style as the brown bess rods, but i am not saying that it is.. Now i dont want to dispute anything at this point untill we see better picks. :)

I am however still looking to find the TC marks as well as the other stampings.
  6. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

It is somewhat similar to a Brown Bess, but it appears to have had two fairly wide barrel bands. From what I can see of the markings on the wood and barrel, the band closest to the trigger was fairly wide, but narrower at the top and wider at the bottom. Google photos of a model 1795 Springfield or a 1816 Harpers Ferry musket and you will see what I mean:

http://www.shooterschoice.com/pedersoli/pedpics/S298.jpg

It also appears to have had a drum nipple, gauging by the size of the hole in the barrel. Probably converted from flintlock to percussion. If the markings reveal the country of origin, you should be able to figure it out. Aren't puzzles fun!
  7. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Ok i can buy that but what about the lug on the bbl it is on top? The harpers is on the bottom.
  8. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Not sure what you are referring to. I see a sight, but no lug. I believe the spring clips that hold the barrel bands on a Harper are on the muzzle side of the band, these are on the butt side. So I doubt it is Harpers.