Need help identifying my rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by DBMeed, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Using a "dead flat" rear base depends on the contour, that "fly in the ointment", as well as having the lightening hole, if any, filled in. As one who removed lots of those ears and filled lots of those holes, I can only say that I tried to keep a reasonable contour and that the bases sold for the M1917 do work with the "ears" removed. Since the contouring was done by hand, installing the rear base may need some adjustment to the receiver or base, or the use of a shim.

Actually on that rifle the ears appear to have been removed, but the top of the receiver not contoured at all, something I should have mentioned in discussing scope mounting.

Jim
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Hence my thought of going dead flat and low for the rear base. I can recall going bonkers with P-14s and US1917s on which someone had removed the ears and then arbitrarily ground the rear ring to what sort of, kind of, maybe, resembled the rear ring contour of a commercial Remington 30-S. That was, as the say, back in the good old days - circa 1965 or so.
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

yikes.. i had no idea the action was up for that kind of retrofit!
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

My apologies to all - I referred to a Model 33 Remington - I should have correctly referred to the Model 30. That Enfield is quite an action. The one I had was re-barrel to .458 Win Mag. With that barrel - even short as it was - about 20 inches - the darned thing was VERY heavy and kicked like a Missouri mule. Killed at one end and maimed at the other. Ole Doc made me give her up.
  5. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

A customer of mine back in the late '60s had a US M1917 rebarreled to one of the really big blasters - .505 Gibbs if memory serves me. Douglas did the barrel and associated bolt face, extractor and ejector work, but I don't recall who did the stock - at the time it would've been Bishop or Fajen. I'd recommended at the time he add an additional recoil lug below the barrel, but last I saw of the barreled action he hadn't followed through on the suggestion. This fellow did love the M1917 action and large cartridges - .458 Win., .460 Wby and the like. I suspect he had a chiropractor on retainer.