Need Help Identifying Old Handgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mgoon06, Jan 23, 2008.

1. mgoon06

mgoon06 New Member

I was given this hundgun a few years ago and I have been trying to find out more info on it. It is made out of stamped steel and is a single shot. The only identifying marks on it is a S on the right side of the hand grip and a W on the left side. Photos will be attached.

Attached Files:

• Gun1.bmp
      File size:
      900.1 KB
      Views:
    • gun2.bmp
      File size:
      900.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Mgoon, I moved your thread here to the Ask the Pros forum where you are more likely to get the information you're seeking.

Welcome to TFF, by the way. Glad to have you with us. :D
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That kinda reminds me of a gun I was told about many years back. This feller I knew told me that he was a Green Beret in the early parts of Viet Nam, when they were basically all working for the CIA. He said that he was issued a "hit gun", which was a 20 gauge shotgun that looked like a Browning 9mm. You do your assassination, then put the thing back in your holster. Folks is lookin' for some guy with a shotgun, and you are walking around with a pistol. Then, later, you dump it in the river. He said he never dumped it. So I said, "Okaaaaay."

I supposed he suspected that I did not believe the story, so he brought it in the next day. Break open 20 gauge single shot shotgun, 5 inch barrel, and the back end of it was made out of stamped steel, and looked like the butt of a Browning P35 HiPower. Very cool. I bet it kicked like a sumbich.

So, as I said, this reminds me of it. I'm wonderin' if there is riflin' in that barrel, of if this might be a 410 shotgun that looks like a pistol. Firing pin makes it look like a rimfire, though.
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I think it's a blank pistol. Have you tried to see if it will accept any ammo other than blanks?
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi mgoon......welcome to TFF. :)

What size is this?

If it's quite small, I've seen two examples of similar "guns". One was a cap pistol, and another was a small "real gun" that was advertised on the back page of comic books for the Johnson Smith Catalog Co. for a toy gun that fired "real bullets".

This doesn't appear to me to be an actual firearm, but rather a toy of some sort.
  6. mgoon06

mgoon06 New Member

It looks like it is chambered for .22 or .22 long.
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I kind of doubt it is made of stamped steel. My guess is that it is cast iron. Anyway, if you decide to sell it, let me know. I like little curios. neveragain18@sbcglobal.net
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It's a blank pistol. Made of cast iron. DO NOT shoot it-even with blanks.