need help identifying older pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hotairgypsy, Nov 4, 2012.

1. hotairgypsy

hotairgypsy New Member

I bought this pistol from a friend of mine and do not know a thing about it. looked interesting. All i can do is list a bunch of pics and see if the tooling marks narrow it down....i am using big pics so you all can see the details if needed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, just to get you started, It has Belgium ( Liege ) proof marks that was used after 1893, it also has the Lion over PV which shows after 1924. The Star over a Letter ( the W ) is an inspectors mark. It is a common design for s whole slew of pistols made from the late from the late 1800s until the 1940s. The other marks are not too clear but some of them are assembly numbers and some of them may be the makers marks. From the size of your hand as a scale it looks small and with a long cylinder, which may be for the 5.5 Velo Dog center fire cartridge. There may be forum members who are more ambitious and will try to match up the makers mark, it won't change the value, which is under a 100 dollars, fascinating little guns but they were made by the hundreds of thousands and don't have much value unless almost new.ADDED: There are so many marking on that gun it it somewhat confusing, One of the letters is the date code, but which one. the star over W doesn't add up because he worked 1952 until the 1960's so other than being Belgium and a rather common design , well, perhaps others can guess better.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member