Need help identifying riffle.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by boomer5858, Apr 3, 2010.

1. boomer5858

boomer5858 New Member

This was my grand fathers firearm.He served in ww2.Not sure if from the war or what gun.Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is a late war Type 99 Japanese rifle. The bolt is missing its internal parts (firing pin, spring and safety). Very often, veterans with children disabled souvenir rifles to prevent accidents.

It looks like the Japanese imperial crest, the chrysanthemum, has been ground off the receiver ring, which most likely means your grandfather got it from a depot in Japan rather than in combat. As a late war rifle, its value is relatively low, and the missing parts make it worth less. By coincidence, I saw a rifle almost like it at a gun show today; it was also missing those parts, and had a price tag of $150. It didn't sell when I was there, so I don't know whether it sold or how much the seller got for it.

Jim
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    whats a riffle,is it some sort of kin to a rifle.yes it is a jap type 99 as was said b-4 and in condition its a doubt if anybody would buy it.sorry old semperfi
  4. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

A Riffle is what you carry with your pisstel.