The Firearms Forum banner

Need help Identifying S&W .38 special revolver

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Soccernut 
#1 · (Edited)
This S&W .38 special is a six shot with a 6 inch barrel. The sights on this pistol appear to be unusual for the S&Ws I have seen. The serial number on the butt is 653xxx and the one on the frame when the cylinder is swung out is 55xxx. Last patent date is Dec 29, 1914. Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Line
Gun Firearm Trigger Line Gun accessory
Black Grey Material property Carbon Steel

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It looks like a S&W M&P (Model of 1905, probably 4th change) revolver from the 1930s. The grips are definitely 1930s style. Pinning down a date is difficult because S&W was not shipping a lot of revolvers in the 30s. Things did not go out in serial number order a lot of times. It is desirable because it is a target model. The front sight is not standard. It's a nice looking revolver!

S/N 642357 is circa 1934 to give you an idea.

I can't tell from the picture - is there a gold or ivory bead on the front sight? I also can't tell if it is original finish or not. That significantly affects the value.

#3 ·
I can't tell from the picture - is there a gold or ivory bead on the front sight? I also can't tell if it is original finish or not. That significantly affects the value.
Thank you for the information. The front sight does not have a bead at all. Just the crescent cutout. The finish is probably original as the gun has been in the possession of my family since the 40s. It was originally purchased by my Grandfather as a police reserve member during WWII.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.