Need help identifying this pistol- urgent!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by johnc10, Nov 23, 2010.

1. opoefc

opoefc New Member

Some 30 yrs ago, I collected semi-auto pistols and belonged to the Nat'l Automatic Pistol Collectors Assoc and at one of their meetings, a similar guns was exhibited that fired by squeezing the lever on the back of the grip, instead of a standard trigger. It had a trigger guard however. A search of the European patent records may give a better answer. Ed.
  2. popgun

popgun New Member

This is a Belgium WS or Wegria-Charlier made by Fabrique d'Armes Charlier & Companie, Liege. It's 6.35 mm Auto. Patented by inventor named Alfred Wegria in 1908, this pistol lacked a conventional trigger. It was fired by squeezing the pivoting lever set into the back strap of the butt.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Great info, Popgun and Deadin! I really wonder how folks come up with info on something like that.

I also wonder what the inventor could have been thinking, other than to just make something different. Still, some people must have bought the guns if they were made for 5 or 6 years.

Jim
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

That would make an ideal front pocket carriy. Reach into your pocket for some loose change and "OPPS", a do it your self vasectomy:eek:
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I would imagine that the spring would have had to be pretty strong to prevent just that kind of accident. Still, it is like inventing the square wheel (can't accidentally roll away!) because one is tired of looking at round ones. I guess the "trigger guard" was just to satisfy convention.

The value on something like that is always debatable. It is certainly rare; there are probably more Paterson Colts around. Yet, it was a design dead end, not the beginning of a legendary company. Any WAGs? I would say maybe $400 to an auto pistol collector.

Jim
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. junk250

junk250 New Member

Wow,

That thing is wild !

Pick it up to put it in your pocket..BANG

Reach in your pocket to pull it out...BANG

Check the grip safety...BANG

Pick it up to unload it...BANG

Well never mind...it's empty now anyway. :D
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011