Need help Identifying this pistol.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TehUgly, Sep 14, 2012.

1. TehUgly

TehUgly New Member

First of all I would like to thank you for letting me join your group. I have a pistol I am having trouble identifying. The only marking I can find are what I believe is a cursive A followed by the number 51. Thank you...

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      37 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      44.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is Spanish, one of the tons of cheap imitation S&W revolvers imported in the 1920's and 1930's. Most of those guns were made from cast iron and some have blown up. I strongly recommend you NOT fire that gun with ANY ammunition, and it would be better to grind off the firing pin to deactivate it.

Jim
  3. TehUgly

TehUgly New Member

Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate the warning, the gun just doesn't look safe to begin with.
  4. TehUgly

TehUgly New Member

Found these while cleaning out Grandma's house. Have one more that I can't find if you guys don't mind. Only stamping I can make out is the end of what looks like New Model on the top of barrel. Thanks again... Robert

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      37.1 KB
      Views:
    • 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

I've seen that odd "bulldog" example before and believe the complete marking was RYAN'S NEW MODEL. If it has no ELG Belgian proofmark, it's probably Spanish also.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

T.E. Ryan, of Norwich, CT, put his name on a series of cheap revolvers in the period 1890-1894. I can't find much on either the man or the guns, and they may have actually been manufactured by others or imported.

Jim