Need Help Identifying this US Revolver Co Breaktop

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dogspit, Nov 27, 2008.

1. dogspit

dogspit New Member

Happy Thanksgiving

I need help identifying this US Revolver Co pistol

Has black Us Revolver Grips. Number under the left grip is b86987? or d86987

5 shot seems to be 32 calibur. has b86987 on trigger guard

Would like to know date value and if it could be shot today? Also what type and size ammo.

Thanks, see pics

Fred

Attached Files:

2. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    [​IMG]

US Revolver Co. Hammerless

US Revolver Co., Double Action, 5 Shot Hammerless Revolver in .32 S&W Short caliber. This is a trade name for an Iver Johnson Cycle Works gun from about 1900 period. It is a top break, auto ejector, concealed hammer revolver with nickel plating - about 90% remaining, the rest is polished metal. The trigger guard and T-Bar latch are blued, trigger is case colored. The 3" round barrel has integral rib with half round front sight and with the rounded butt this was called and used as a pocket pistol. The grips are checkered hard rubber with "US (in Circle)" logo and they are excellent except crack in base of both. The bore and cylinders are fine, as is the action. The gun over all has a pleasing appearance but the nickel finish does have a peppery look. Serial # 123xx is offered at $165.00 ... BUY NOW FFL Required

http://neaca.com/Antique Arms and Armor.html
  3. younggun28

younggun28 New Member

dont know much about revolvers more of a shot gun guy but that looks cool :)
  4. younggun28

younggun28 New Member

it looks more like .38's Smith & Wesson/Iver Johnson
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

FRED,
    the B letter code was used on the small frame U.S. Revolver Co. 32 caliber hammerless revolvers between 1917 and 1923 but the factory serial numbers only go to B41900. can you funish a better picture of the serial number and the markings on the top of the barrel rib. also it is unusual for the trigger guard serial number to have the letter code, a picture of that would be helpful. these revolvers also had a serial number stamped on the bottom of the top strap (remove cylinder to see). what is that number? is your determination of this being a u.s. revolver co. handgun based on the grips alone.

the u.s. revolver co. small frame 32 caliber manufactured 1910-1935 used a frame identical to the iver johnson safety automatic hammerless revolver second model manufactured between 1897 and 1908. the small frame safety automatic hammerless revolver second model also used the B letter code between 1897 and 1902.

bill
  6. Iced

Iced New Member

I recently received this from a family member and would like to find out how old it is and any other information that is available. It has "US REVOLVER CO" on the top of the barrel and US on the hand grips. There is a number on the bottom of the trigger guard, 8919 and the same number on the left side of the frame under the grips. The gun looks as though it has never been used. Please see pics:

Thanks,
    Jerry

Attached Files:

7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

iced.
    this revolver small frame 32 S&W caliber u.s. revolver co. automatic (top break) serial number 8919 was manufactured in 1910 (about 14,250 manufactured that year).

U.S. REVOLVER CO. AUTOMATIC HAMMER--------------------------------1910-1935
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; This is a Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works to be sold through the wholesale trade. It was never listed in any Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works catalog, although it was listed in some European catalogs as original Iver Johnson products. Does not have Hammer the Hammer action and relies on a safety notch on the hammer. Hard rubber grip panels with U S at the top, large oversize two piece hard rubber grips were optional. Two frame sizes and three calibers were offered. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: large frame 38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity Weight: small frame .22 rimfire 12 ounces, small frame .32 centerfire 12 ½ ounces, large frame .38 centerfire 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inches 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$105
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  8. jet

jet New Member

I have a US Revolver Co. pistol with #1624(9)? on the left grip bottom. It no longer has grips and appears to be 32 caliber? What value do you think and who restores this type of weapon?
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jet,
    Welcome to the forum. Value of your item, in described condition is probably around $65 to $100. Restoration done by someone who charges for that service, likely would be more costly than 6 to 10 similar guns. Seek out a local gunsmith for his opinion - balk at having work done if he mentions anything over $100 as an "estimate." Good luck.
  10. ermatt

ermatt New Member

Hello all! I am new to this website. Basically my story is this. I was helping to clean out my grand-mother's house and I found a gun just like this in her attic in a box. Who knows how long it was up there but it appears to be in near perfect condition, not a spot of rust and it is still shiny! So how do I identify this gun and wondering its value, although now that I have it I want to keep handing it down. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  11. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

There are several different guns shown and described in this thread, so impossible to know which one you mean. It would be better for you to start a new thread, but first read the "sticky" at top of this board:
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=14493