Need help identifying

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Nam1970, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Nam1970

Nam1970 New Member

I've run on to a WWII 1911 that has me baffled. Serial # is NO. 790xxx. It's a Colt with 'WB' inspector stamp. Slide serial number matches the frame. All 'P' stamps are as they should be. Here's what has me baffled. The serial number looks like a new pistol's serial number. On the frame it is not stamped like normal. It looks like more like it is lasered, although the letters and numbers are the correct fonts for that period Colt. The 'United States Property' stamping is nowhere to be found. Anybody have a clue about this Colt? Thanks, Steve

UPDATE: I've been told that the reason it doesn't have the 'United States Property' stamp is because Colt never sent this one to the Army, so it never became military property. The pistol does look as close to new. Has anyone seen or heard of one like this?
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009