Need help IDing an antique rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by IrishmikeG19, Jun 28, 2012.

1. IrishmikeG19

IrishmikeG19 New Member

Hey Fellas, first post. I am looking for information on this rifle. My business partner's father inherited it from his dad. I was told it looks like a J Stevens Tip-up, but I have not seen one with two triggers. The front trigger unlocks the breech, second one drops the hammer. There is a thick patina of rust obscuring any markings on the reciever or barrel, so I am unable to determine the caliber. I snapped a pic of the bore with a 9mm round shown for size comparison. I was told these were made in .22 and .25 rimfire, but the bore looks a little large for a .25. I dunno gents, any ideas or advice on where to research would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. It's a Frank Wesson two-trigger rifle, not a Stevens. Caliber is probably .38 rimfire. Made ca 1863-1875 in Worcester, Massachusetts.

It may be the third type, with adjustable firing pin to use either rimfire or centerfire.

If cleaned up, there should be markings, but don't do anything more abrasive than extra fine 0000 steel wool used lightly with oil.

Flayderman lists value of $350 for Very Good condition.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  3. IrishmikeG19

IrishmikeG19 New Member

Thank you for the info!