1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need help . Info regarding german steyr

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rick670, Dec 3, 2006.

1. rick670

rick670 New Member

Hi everyone. This my first post so thanks for being patient. My dad gave me a rifle at least 20 years ago. I love to shoot but this rifle needs ammo made rfor it and i havent done the research. the last person to help me took off with all the brasss i had. OK>.. the markings are: Oesterr.Waffenfabr-Gen.Steyr (left side of receiver) the rest is hard to type... ill try. NPv with some logo stamp, to the left of the name (toward the end of the barrel) St.m.G (over) N 127gr(?) thisis small stuff to try to read... now the important one.. ont the opposite side....7.9mm ( i know its 8 mm) next line is 127 next line is: 170 (the "0" is larger than the rest). the stock is full to the end of the barrel. The butt of the stock has a compartment for 3 rounds.. (sneaky germans ;p) and i think it takes 5 rounds if you push them down into the receiver. OK>... what do i need to do to get ammo... i thought it was 8x56.. but i think maybe 8x54.. is this right? Next.. can i get an original scope for this that mounts in the 3 point mount thats in the rifle now? and maybe a sling that at least looks right? Im trying to keep this iece ariginal and i love this rifle. so light and delicate and not a scratch on it. My dad gave me a few rounds.. probably from the war. I fired the first one.. nothing... for about 5 seconds... then a hiss... then BOOM. scared the s..t out of me. so.. i need the good stuff. Thanks in advance to all for the time to read all this. Ill include as many pertinent photos that i can. If you need more just ask. Thanks again. Rick.

Attached Files:

2. rick670

rick670 New Member

Still hoping someone helps me here. I havent a clue where to start. thanks again
  3. Mark

Mark New Member

I believe this to be a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer, Caliber 8 X 56. I would try the Old Western Scrounger for ammo. Just Google them up.

Nice pictures, by the way. I think you have a gift.

I have absolutely no idea where you can get a scope and mount for this. I don't know where you are located, but if I were you, I would hook up with a gunsmith that knows, or specializes in these old rifles and have this one looked at. These old Mannlichers have been known to have headspace issues, and a knowledgeable gunsmith can confirm my guess, and tell you if this old timer is safe to shoot. He may even be able to find a scope and mounts for this rifle.
    This type of firearm is the sort you network to find parts, loads, ammo, and whatever else you need. An example is the sling. Measure the width of the swivels. You aren't going to find a sling that fits at WalMart. This is old time classic stuff, made before WWI.
    If the gun is sound, the bore good, and you can afford to, I would hang onto this one. The boys stopped making these way before WWII.
    Mark