The Firearms Forum banner

Need help - Newbie Screwed Up disassemblying a Thompson

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Anchor Clanker 
G
#1 ·
Babysan12
(9/8/02 9:27:03 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Need help - Newbie Screwed Up disassemblying a Thompson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taking down my Thompson (civilian version). Came with no instructions. Had receiver half off, wasnt sure how to get it off from here. Turned safety to "safe" and now I'm stuck. Gun is totally locked up. What do I do from here????? thanks.

Tac401
Administrator
(9/9/02 11:12:17 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Need help - Newbie Screwed Up disassemblying a Thompson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stand by, let me get my memory and info together, I'll
walk you through it within the next 24-hours unless
someone here gets it to you first.

Welcome Aboard!
TFF VMBB Email Tac

Xracer
*TFF Senior Staff*
(9/10/02 7:00:19 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Need help - Newbie Screwed Up disassemblying a Thompson
Hi Babysan. Welcome to The Firearms Forum!

Keep checking back.....we'll get that sucker fixed for you.

One of the ships I served on was a fleet tug out of Newport, RI. We had a whole bunch of .45 ball that was going outdated, so we either had to shoot it up, dump it over the side, or turn it in. The GunnersMate asked the Old Man if we could shoot it off while we were out to sea.

We broke out all the .45's on board.....8 M1911A1s and 3 Thompsons (2 M1s and a beee-yoooo-tiful M192 . We tossed a bunch of empty 1/2 pint milk cartons off the fantail and shot 'em bobbing in our wake.....what a glorious time!

We all had sore fingers from loading all those magazines......but it was sure worth it!

Edited by: Xracer at: 9/10/02 8:03:37 am

Babysan12
(9/10/02 6:23:50 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Thompson Frozen
Thanks! I look forward to your help!!

Tac401
Administrator
(9/12/02 12:27:27 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Thompson Frozen
Sorry for the delay, been tied up with unexpected curcumstances, will get your gun up and running
by tommorrow or sooner.
TFF VMBB Email Tac

See less See more
#2 ·
Changing the subject from fixing the Thompson - was that Navy ship the USS Perry, time frame 68 or 69. I had a similar experience, it was one great day I'll always remembor, my first time shooting a Thompson with unlimited ammo to shoot. As you said we got to shoot
all the ammo we could load into mag's. I also remember having fun with a B.A.R but with a limited amount of ammo.

#5 ·
Saw a question like this a long time ago. You didn't say exactly what the problem is/was but his was that the bolt would not go forward. The Thompson was designed to fire from an open bolt (the bolt pulled fully to the rear). I told him to insure that the magazine was removed and the chamber was empty (stick your little pinkie in it). Then pull the trigger, the bolt will go forward. He reported back that that action solved his problem. Maybe it'll solve yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.