need help on 41 byf to buy not to buy

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CHUCKEYCITY13, Apr 13, 2011.

1. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

I, think, also, that Danny is having fun with us here.
    First of all:
    SS did not procur any lugers or P-38s or any other 9mm first line weapons.
    Those were army, luftwafe(small proportion) and police procurred weapons and were distributed through the army/luftwaffe/police channels.
    The Waffen SS divisions would have received the standard 9mm handguns through the army channels and "Black widow" lugers were in the mix of the weapons available.
    The regular(non-waffen) SS procurred only Walther PP and PPKs(as part of general RSHA proccurment) and these indeed exist in certain serial ranges and have specific identifying characteristics.
    These were indeed ordered with black holster holsters, however many are now seen with both black and brown holsters.
    Bottom line:
    "Black widow" lugers have NOTHING to do with specific SS units(see Jim's post above) and just happened to have black grips and mag bottoms because wood and aluminum became difficult to come by and were used elsewhere in the german war industry.
    But, I think, Danny knew all that and just wanted to make me and Jim practice our typing skills :)
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. CHUCKEYCITY13

CHUCKEYCITY13 New Member

I would like thank everyone once again for there help. I bought the item and took it to a friends gun shop and its 100% no doubt re-blue however I talked the owner down to 650.00 and am happy to be the new owner. I know the re-blue kills it but I love the way it looks. I am sure in the future I will tire of it and sale it but for now its my new toy. I will try and add more pics later.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

$650 is not too bad a price for a functional Luger, even with the reblue. On another site, every time I mentioned Luger prices, a fellow would tell me about how he could buy them all day for $200 and no one but a fool would pay any more. I think he was in a 1970 time warp. Some folks on here go the opposite direction and value Lugers at even higher than they usually sell for.

When I was much younger, Lugers were selling for $10 and P.38s for $5. Of course, I was too young then to buy any gun and didn't have the $10, either. So I paid a whopping $35 for my first Luger, in 1955. Since I was in the army and getting $28 a month, that was sill a lot of money. I paid in two installments.

Jim
  4. Danny

Danny Member

:eek:
    Jim I never thought you were that old. Did you fight with Lee at Bulls Run? Just kidding Sir & Brother Vet.
    Danny:)
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Nope, I was on the other side, running for Washington.

As to "vet" I was sort of between wars, 1955-1957. I don't call myself a veteran, as I feel that term should be reserved for those who served in wartime, if not in combat. The only combat I saw was in the desperate struggle against Louisiana mosquitos. We lost.

Jim