Need help on a good 300 Win Mag load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by captbrad, Oct 9, 2011.

1. captbrad

captbrad New Member

I,m heading to Wyoming for a Muley hunt in 12 days and I just picked up a new Win. model 70 in 300 Win Mag and I'm looking for a good load using the only bullets I have on hand, hornady 165 sst. I also have some H1000, Rel 17, and Varget powders. Does anyone have any help for a guy with not alot of time or vast resources to tag a Muley with my own hand load.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

captbrad:

Handloads need to be developed by staring low and working up to a load that your gun likes along with varying the seating depth and other variables by testing. Using any old load you get from an internet responder is a pure gamble.... it could be too hot or not work well in your gun. Hunting is expensive and not because of the ammo costs. It is foolish to risk the loss of the hunt to bad ammo. I suggest you buy a box or two of premium factory ammo and use your remaining time to zero the gun with that ammo and take that factory ammo on the hunt. To me it would not be worth the risk of using unknown ammo on a hunting trip. But if that is not possible at least use premium factory ammo and zero your gun for that ammo in your gun.

LDBennett
  3. dhom

dhom New Member

I have had good results with 78 gr of Reloader 22 with this bullet and a standard primer loaded to OAL of 3.350". As with any load start low and work up to it!
  4. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

The only powder really suitable in your inventory is the H1000. My personal favorite load is with a max charge of IMR 7828ssc and a 168 gr. Barnes TTSX with a Federal 215M primer in a Nosler case. That load cloverleafs at 100 yards. I've killed Wyoming muleys and cow elk with that load and it works with devastating results. One word of warning; if you are going from a low elevation to Wyoming you might want to shoot a few once you get there. My 200 gr load using RL22 that grouped 3/4" at sea level shot 5" groups at 7,000 feet. Once I got back the load resumed it's former 3/4" group. That's why I ended up shooting the 168.
  5. Ace1911

Ace1911 New Member

I have a Browning A-bolt 300 Winmag with 26" barrel, and get great accuracy with 165G 72G of IMR4350. My rifle's favorite load is 168G A-Max with 68G of IMR4350. I love the 300 Winmag cartridge because of it's versatility. You can load a cartridge for varmint loads or a heavy Elk load all in one rifle. I have been told that this is a accurate projectile in 300 Winmag, but I have not had a chance to load it and give it a try:

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-180-gr-RN/

Anyway, HTH..

-Mike
  6. dhom

dhom New Member

captbrad I know people that seem to have outstandind results with H1000. I have read some reloading info and the RL17 you have also should give good results. Work up your loads carefully.
  7. captbrad

captbrad New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was able to load 20 rounds @ 4 shots per group starting at 79 gr. ending at 83 gr. of h1000 with the 165 sst. I found this gun likes the slower velocities (3025 with 79 gr. 7/8" group, 3215 with 83 gr. 2" group). I also located a box of 180 Gr.win ballistic silver tips that shot about a 1" group. I live and hunt mostly at sea level and I'm not familiar with Myfriends statement about elevation effects on a guns performance and would like to hear more about it. I just started reloading this year because I live in a remote area and factory ammo is not easily available and expensive. I love this forum and you guys have helped me figure alot without even asking. Thanks for the input.
  8. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I had heard vague references to this phenomenon before, but that was the first (and only) time I experienced it. That load shoots great here, but was crap in Colorado. It just points up that any time you travel to a distant locale to hunt, it's a good idea to re-verify your rifle/scope/ammo combo before hitting the field. Also; this rifle has demonstrated that it is very finicky and was a real trial to find good loads for it. I too like the .300 win mag. When I absolutely, positively want to kill something that rifle is the one that comes out.