Need HELP on an antique gun recently aquired!!!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by rw566019, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. rw566019

    rw566019 New Member

    Nov 16, 2005
    Gettysburg, PA
    Hey guys, I live near Gettysburg, PA and recently aquired there an antique muzzleloader.

    I appears to be a Kentucky rifle, with the hair trigger and all. The wood is rope burned (tiger striped). It is also abnormally heavy, as compared with a springfield, or other sizeable muskets.

    Unfortunately, I have no idea where it came from, or where it was made.

    After hours of corn oil rubbing the plate, I could decipher the words

    "Partridge Warr....."

    I have no idea what comes after the Warr, it seems like it would be Warrington, or Warrenton.....but doing countless searches on google, yahoo, and every other search engine have yielded me nothing.

    I also looked in Flaydermans, but it gave me nothing as well.

    I'd show pictures, but unfortunately I'm at college and the gun is at home.

    Any help is GREATLY appreciated, thanks!!
  2. inplanotx

    inplanotx Active Member

    Jan 28, 2002
    Its called a needle in a hay stack. Without more info and pictures, this is an impossibility to find. Sorry.

  3. rw566019

    rw566019 New Member

    Nov 16, 2005
    Gettysburg, PA
    But one would think that the word Partridge would ring some bell with someone that knows their thing on the type of gun, wouldnt one?

    Oh well, I'll keep trying I guess. It's a beautiful piece, I just couldn't resist it, whether I knew its history or not.
  4. SouthernMoss

    SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

    Jan 1, 2003
    SW MS
    Post some pictures when you get home. Maybe some of our folks will recognize it.
  5. Not nessecarily, rw. Most of those type rifles were made by local blacksmith/gunsmiths who operated in the cottage industries. Many of these artisans were never recognized gun manufacturers and even the local records will probably list them as blacksmiths only. Also, complicating things even more, there were no replacement parts for these guns as they were made by hand and if the owner moved to a new area or was hunting away from home and their gun broke, they would have to find yet another blacksmith to repair or make new parts.

    But, they say that's part of the joy of collecting these old smokepoles! ;)
  6. astute observer

    astute observer New Member

    Dec 5, 2002
    The "WARR" is "WARRANTED", which simply means guaranteed. The name "Partridge" is not uncommon on gunlocks of the period. This is NOT the gun maker, but rather the lock maker or supplier. Most gunsmith/gunmakers bought locks from others rather than making their own, simply for the sake of expedience. Other names commonly seen on locks include "H. ELWELL"; C. BAKER; JOSEPH GOLCHER; JAS. GOLCHER; G. GOULCHER; MOORE, and many more, usually accompanied by the word "WARRANTED". Is there any trace of a name or initials on top of the barrel? If so, this would be the gunmaker's signature, but understand that many of thse rifles were left unsigned. Those guys had no idea that we would be collecting them 150+ years later.
Similar Threads
Forum Title Date
Curio & Relics Forum Need a Little VZ24 Help Jun 1, 2015
Curio & Relics Forum Need help in ID'ing this piece. Nov 13, 2013
Curio & Relics Forum Need help with ID Nov 11, 2013
Curio & Relics Forum Need help identifying markings on a Ketland flintlock pistol Feb 19, 2013
Curio & Relics Forum need help with proof marks Jan 18, 2013