The Firearms Forum banner

Need HELP on an antique gun recently aquired!!!

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  astute observer 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I live near Gettysburg, PA and recently aquired there an antique muzzleloader.

I appears to be a Kentucky rifle, with the hair trigger and all. The wood is rope burned (tiger striped). It is also abnormally heavy, as compared with a springfield, or other sizeable muskets.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where it came from, or where it was made.

After hours of corn oil rubbing the plate, I could decipher the words

"Partridge Warr....."

I have no idea what comes after the Warr, it seems like it would be Warrington, or Warrenton.....but doing countless searches on google, yahoo, and every other search engine have yielded me nothing.

I also looked in Flaydermans, but it gave me nothing as well.

I'd show pictures, but unfortunately I'm at college and the gun is at home.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, thanks!!

See less See more
#3 ·
But one would think that the word Partridge would ring some bell with someone that knows their thing on the type of gun, wouldnt one?

Oh well, I'll keep trying I guess. It's a beautiful piece, I just couldn't resist it, whether I knew its history or not.

#5 ·
[rw566019]But one would think that the word Partridge would ring some bell with someone that knows their thing on the type of gun, wouldnt one?
Not nessecarily, rw. Most of those type rifles were made by local blacksmith/gunsmiths who operated in the cottage industries. Many of these artisans were never recognized gun manufacturers and even the local records will probably list them as blacksmiths only. Also, complicating things even more, there were no replacement parts for these guns as they were made by hand and if the owner moved to a new area or was hunting away from home and their gun broke, they would have to find yet another blacksmith to repair or make new parts.

But, they say that's part of the joy of collecting these old smokepoles! ;)

#6 ·
The "WARR" is "WARRANTED", which simply means guaranteed. The name "Partridge" is not uncommon on gunlocks of the period. This is NOT the gun maker, but rather the lock maker or supplier. Most gunsmith/gunmakers bought locks from others rather than making their own, simply for the sake of expedience. Other names commonly seen on locks include "H. ELWELL"; C. BAKER; JOSEPH GOLCHER; JAS. GOLCHER; G. GOULCHER; MOORE, and many more, usually accompanied by the word "WARRANTED". Is there any trace of a name or initials on top of the barrel? If so, this would be the gunmaker's signature, but understand that many of thse rifles were left unsigned. Those guys had no idea that we would be collecting them 150+ years later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.