1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need help on finding caliber

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by rdowlg, Apr 8, 2008.

1. rdowlg

rdowlg New Member

I done some work for a man and he gave me a little single action 22 revolver, and on the barrel it has stamped 22LR,but the man told me it was a 22 magnum, and there is no markings on the cylinder,how can I be sure.have no way to contact this fellow as he moved out of the area.I would appreciate any help.
  2. One way, rdowlg, is simply to chamber a round in one of the cylinders. The .22 mag cartridge is both longer and thicker than a .22LR. A mag cartridge will not fit into a cylinder designed for the .22LR. All that aside, if the barrel is marked .22LR you can be about 99.999% sure it is indeed chambered for the .22LR, not the .22 Mag.
  3. rdowlg

rdowlg New Member

Thanks for the info,I'll give that a try I sure didn't want to try and fire it with the wrong ammo.
  4. nolacajun

nolacajun New Member

Seems you now possess a "dual" cylinder revolver. It will be marked 22 LR on the barrel, but by changing out the cylinders it will become a 22 Mag. Note what was stated in previous post about 22 mag ammo NOT fitting in a 22 LR cylinder. Also, it should be pointed out that 22 LR ammo WILL fit in a 22 Mag cylinder.

Make sure of which cylinder it is, then use the ammo for that one.

John
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Ruger revolver? a single cylinder makes me suspicious of the source!
    All the 'Single sixes', to my knowlege, were shipped with both cylinders,and are usually sold that way, by an honest seller; when they come in, with only one cylinder, I am immediately suspicious, about their 'source'.