The Firearms Forum banner

Need Help on Primer Selection for Competitive .223 shooting

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bamashooter 
#1 ·
I have a customer who is going to be reloading some .223 cal ammunition for competition bench rest shooting at 600 yards. Can you help me to give him some guidance with regards to which primer to use? He will be shooting in relatively cooler (40-65 degrees Fahrenheit) weather. His choice right now is CCI small magnum rifle primers, but he is open to better suggestions.

#3 ·
I don't shoot Benchrest with the .223, I shoot Service Rifle, but I like Winchester regular primers in the AR. I don't usually like CCI in the .223 AR, but there's one load using 52gr match bullets, 26.5gr 748 and CCI primers that shoots fantastic groups for me.

The CCI #41 primer mentioned above is supposed to be harder than usual, and is supposed to be magnum strength. Lots of people suggest magnum strength primers for Ball/Spherical/globular powders, but I have not found that necessary with the Ball/Spherical/globular powders I usually use (the one I have found it helps with is super slow WCC860). YMMV.

Lots of people like a really hard primer for semi-autos that don't have a firing pin retraction spring, such as the AR. I don't know if your friend is using a bolt or semi-auto rifle. I've always paid close attention to getting primers slightly below flush, and never has a problem with Winchesters. Heck, I used to use Federals, and never had a problem, and they're thought to be the softest and most sensitive.

Here's a link to loads used by Service Rifle match shooters (they shoot out to 600yds), using a range of bullet weights:
http://radomski.us/njhp/

#4 ·
Thank you for your help. Here is a little more info that he has just provided me about what he is shooting:

I am using a Remington 700 Bolt Action 5R Milspec .223 caliber with 24 inch barrel. I am looking at loading 80 grain match boat tail bullets for use at 600 and 1000 yard ranges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.