Need Help Reading Lock Plate

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Soupent11, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Soupent11

Soupent11 New Member

I need help reading the name on a lock plate of a muzzleloader. It is a half- stock percussion cap, built by SG & AJ Southerland of Ann Arbor, probably around 1842-1855.

The inscription is shown in the attached picture. The second (?) letter is a W, and the last letter is an S. The last three letters might be IES or ILS. Is this the name of the lockmaker?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

It looks like there may be an "E" before the "W". At that time gunmakers had many ready built and/or imported lock available for use. Sorry I can't offer any better insight.
  3. Soupent11

Soupent11 New Member

Thanks.

Are there lists of lockmakers that I could compare this inscription to?