Need help selecting a revolver

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by oldredneck, Dec 17, 2007.

1. oldredneck

oldredneck New Member

I want to buy a .357 Mag revolver. I was looking at the S&W 620 until I read an article in American Handgunner. The writer said the S&W 619 and 620 both have shrouded barrels. He stated he had checked three barrels of these pistols and all three had damage to the crown from the factory. It takes a special wrench to remove the shroud and S&W will not sale one to anyone. Now I'm looking at the S&W 686 or a Ruger GP100 even though the Ruger also has a shrouded barrel.

Can any revolver lovers give me some good advice on which make and model would be the best and most accurate revolver for my money?
  2. pdbsa

pdbsa New Member

the ruger is built like a tank. i own both a GP100 and SW686, i like the ruger better.
  3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I do not believe the Ruger has a shroud on it's barrel.
  4. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

watcha goina use it for? hunting? self defense? plinking? all of the above?

Personally, I really like the single action Ruger Blackhawk.

On the other hand, my brother's S&W mdl 66 with 6" bl. is probably the most accurate .357 I've ever shot.

Good luck and best regards,

cb
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I have owned Ruger Turaus and S&W I have only one brand of revolver any mor and they are all S&W I am not crazy about the newer ones but love the older models
    as for a great 357 you can't go wrong with
    a model
    heck I wouldn't turn away a model 13
    The 686 or 28 is a couple of great ones
    I would sell my model 28 for less then $10,000.00 and I am not joking I like that gun
    THANKS PUNCHIE ;)
    Just my two cents and that ain't worth much.
    Ron
  6. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I absoloutly agree with .358 about the older S&W's. Unless it's for CCW, my choice for a .357 Magnum is either the model 27 or 28.
  7. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

My picks are:

S&W: 686, 586, the 327 has 8rds capacity.

Ruger: GP100

Taurus: 66

I would recommend the GP100 with a 4" Barrel.
    I do not think you will be disappointed.
    The Taurus is kinda on the low end, but less expensive. If you wanted to save some cash that would be the way to go. Depending on how much you plan to shoot, they don't hold up to bad, it would make a good dresser drawer gun. The Smith is a higher end, again it kind of boils down to how much you wanna spend. The Ruger is very nice, price and quality combined. I do not think you will go wrong there at all.
  8. Michael G

Michael G New Member

I have the Ruger SP101. It's concealable and reliable.
  9. neophyte

neophyte New Member

Ruger GP100 or Ruger SP101 should serve you well:D
  10. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

I like S&W revolvers. I don't know why the shroud is necessary on some of those but there are plenty of used .357s out there to find a good one in stainless or blued. I shot a GP100 probably 17 years ago and really liked it. As long as the Taurus shoots well and you like the trigger then I would feel comfortable with that choice as well. If you want to hunt and pack with this gun then think about a .44 mag as well. A lot more stopping power.
  11. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

12. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

13. dusty9

dusty9 Member

If you are buying new firearms:
    1. Ruger GP100
    2. S & W 686
    I expect they would be about equal in accuracy, but the 686 has a better trigger, while the GP100 is built like a tank and would never wear out.
    Of course, these can also be purchased used.

If you want to buy a used firearm:
    1. S & W 27 or 28 (both blue N frames)
    2. Ruger Security Six (stainless or blue)
    3. S & W 19 (blue K frame) or 66 (stainless K frame)
    The N frame S & W is as good as it gets, but they are large & somewhat heavy.
    The K frames are smaller & lighter than the N frames.
    The Security Six is stronger than the K frames and will stand up to a steady diet of .357 longer.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Here's a test to help decide:

Go to your local dealer and have him lay the Ruger GP100 on the counter along side the S&W 686. Inspect each gun for fit and finish. Checkout each gun's trigger, both double action (if you think you will use it...I don't) and single action. Raise each to a shooting position, and checkout the sights, the balance, and the general feel of the guns.

I did this test and the S&W won hands down. The S&W is about finesse and precision and the GP100 Ruger is about robust and utility. I have owned the GP100 and currently own three S&W revolvers (41 Mag. 44 Mag, 357 Mag). The latest is the 357 and its the seven round version about five years old. The oldest is the 41 Mag and its nearly 20 years old. The current S&W quality matches or exceeds the quality of the nearly 20 year old versions. In fact I think it better.

But this is the results of MY test. Your results may vary. Buy what tickles your fancy after performing the above test. The GP100 is a fine accurate gun as is the S&W. Either choice is a good one.

LDBennett
  15. What you suggest is an excellent approach, LDB, and I agree with the final conclusion you reached as well. I have both a Ruger GP100 with a six-inch barrel, and an S&W Mod 28 with a four-inch barrel. Both are fine weapons, though if push came to shove, I would choose the Smith over the Ruger in terms of overall quality. The only drawback to the Mod 28, in my view, is that it is an N-frame revolver and thus pretty bulky--in essence, the frame is even stronger than it needs to be for a .357. When Smith designed that revolver, they simply took the heavy N-frame they were using for their .44 magnum and fitted a .357 cylinder and barrel. The Ruger is a medium frame and a bit less obtrusive, but still large and heavy enough to dampen recoil adequately with full power loads. Both revolvers are highly accurate with either .357s or .38 specials.
  16. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

I was looking at the smith 686 when I stumbled upon a good deal on a colt king cobra that I ended up taking home.

I never liked any of the rugers I picked up, including the gp100 and the hammerless models (I really hated those).
  17. ciwsguy

ciwsguy New Member

Hey redneck,
    I have a recently procured S&W 19 with 6" barrel, manufactured about 1984. To my knowledge, this isn't a shrouded barrel as the barrel appears to be one piece which threads into the frame as one machined part. In contrast, I have a Dan Wesson model 15-2 that DOES have a shroud separate from the threaded barrel. The DW barrel threads into the frame near the cylinder, you set the gap to .006 inches, place the shroud over the barrel and into the frame seat, then install the muzzle nut to secure the barrel to the end of the shroud. I didn't know S&W had anything like a shrouded .357 as my M19 isn't shrouded. I'm confused by your post unless you're talking about a S&W model that I am unfamiliar with. I thought that generally with S&W revolvers, you're stuck with the barrel length that the gun came with when you bought it. Am I incorrect? Please clarify - what do you mean by a S&W shrouded revolver?
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  18. redrick

redrick New Member

I have a older 686 and that is the last handgun that I would sell if times were tight .
  19. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I agree completely. I voted with my dollars, and came home with a GP100. And I love it. Although I'm the sort of person who has to tinker with things, so I've ordered a "rough country" rear sight from Bowen Classic Arms, replaced the springs with a kit from Wolff, and replaced the grip with a Hogue "monogrip" (really just to keep the original wood panels in nice shape). But that GP100 is rapidly becoming my favorite.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  20. sportour

sportour New Member

Here's my everyday carry, S&W Model 66. I bought this one used several years ago. The original owner probably fed it a steady diet of full bore magnum loads and had split the forcing cone so I had the barrel replaced by the factory. I've had the opportunity to compare S&W's, Ruger SP 100's and Colt Detective Specials as well as my own Colt Officers Match but it's a factory custom. My vote goes to S&W for their workmanship and triggers although there's nothing wrong with the Rugers or the Colts. This pistol is smooth as butter and deadly accurate with anything from 125gr cast practice loads to full house 158 gr jacketed hps. As my eyes are getting older than me I recently added a set of crimson trace grips to replace the Hogues.

Attached Files: