1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need help SW 539 field strip

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by cbrown, Sep 28, 2010.

1. cbrown

cbrown New Member

I dont have the book on this gun i have searched google and youtube to try and find out how to disassemble this gun i can not figure it out for the life of me please help!

PS it is a 9mm

Thanks!
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

First, remove the clip (magazine) from the grip. Second, cycle the slide to eject any shell that might be in the chamber. Third, holding the pistol in your right hand with your thumb behind the backstrap, hold the slide back about 1/4", so the clear cut in the slide will allow the slide release lever to be pushed right to left out of the frame. Fourth, slide the slide, barrel and recoil spring/guide assembly forward off the frame. Fifth, holding the slide in your right hand, slightly push the recoil spring guide forward and lift up and pull back to relieve tension on the spring. Remove this part completely from the slide. Sixth, push the barrel with your finger through the ejection port and slide the barral forward a little bit to clear the locking groves. Then pull the barrel back, clear of the slide.

Because of the design of the S&W 39/439/908, you do not want to strip the frame and action down. This is as far as you should go. To reassemble the pistol, just reverse the process that I gave you.
  3. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Oscar...you forgot the barrel bushing. Mike
  4. cbrown

cbrown New Member