Need help to identify S&W revolver

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/3/01 11:06:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Need help to identify S&W revolver
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My oldest son in Fairfax VA, recently acquired a S&W .357 revolver, a model 13-D.

Has 2.5 inch barrel, with round butt grip, and is in the blue.

Never heard of a model 13 before. Does this one go back a couple of decades?

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 8/4/01 12:09:29 am

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/3/01 11:28:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Need help to identify S&W revolver
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There were two model 13`s. The barrel length is odd though. Maybe AD can speak to that. S&W Model 13 H.B. and M & P., heavy barrel, fixed sights, square butt, 4" barrel, some in nickle finish.

S&W Model 13 LIGHTWEIGHT, USAF .38 not .357.....aluminum cylinder and frame. Very few of these, most were destroyed.

Will do a little more hunting for that "letter" designation. LTS
    "am not" R2

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 8/4/01 12:32:26 am

AntiqueDr
    (8/4/01 1:05:36 am)
    Barrel was measured incorrectly. You measured from the muzzle to the front of the frame, when the actual barrel length is measured from the muzzle to the cylinder face.

You'll find it is a 3" Model 13 M&P round-butt. Been around for a long time. I think and it's stainless counterpart the Model 65 were the best all around .357's S&W ever made.

Where are you finding this "D"?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/4/01 5:49:23 pm)
    My son lives in Fairfax, VA. He bought this gun off a fellow he works with. That's about all I know about it at this point. I think you are right about incorrectly measuring the barrel length. I'll ask him about it.

The model number was located apparently inside crane or on the frame there, and was stamped 13-D.

He's got a CCW permit and is going to carry this piece some of the time.

Is the gun very valuable, should he not be carrying it?

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 8/4/01 6:55:08 pm

AntiqueDr
    (8/4/01 5:57:29 pm)
    That's not going to be a "D", its going to be a number. The gun is not particularly valuable, just a darn good shooter. Excellent choice for a .357 carry gun.

www.apaxenterprises.com

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/4/01 8:32:48 pm)
    Thanks AD, and the rest of you savy hombres, for the info on the model 13. Nice to know he's got a good revolver to pack when he feels the need to pack.

Gunguy

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/6/01 9:59:18 pm)
    OK, I've got a little more on the model 13. Its not a model 13-D, its a model 13-4. The serial number is #BK55XX. Yet, mein son still maintains its a 2.5 inch barrel. I gave him explicit instructions on how to measure the damn barrel. But alas, I fear he is still not doing it right.

Gun is also in blue steel.

Gunguy

AntiqueDr
    (8/6/01 10:09:39 pm)
    He's still not doing it right. The gun is a later production Model 13, 3" barrel. Excellent carry gun.

www.apaxenterprises.com