Need Help to Identify

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by whr_iii, Apr 13, 2011.

1. whr_iii

whr_iii New Member

Hey All,
    New user so apologize ahead of time if I am starting this thread incorrectly. Inherited this pistol from my father and I, like he, are totally at a loss to figure out make, model, manufacturer, year, etc. Any and all help appreciated.

Entire pistol is of unknown metal. Trigger folds. Is a double action. Bore measures approximately 5/16". No identifiable manufacturer markings, SN, etc. outside or even inside the grips. Guessing centerfire based on cone style hammer. If additional info is needed, please let me know.

Attached Files:

2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum i am waiting with u to see what it is
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

European pocket or boot revolver, probably .320 caliber. Most are Belgian, but if truely unmarked might be Spanish. Have you checked the rear face of the cylinder? Look for the ELG in an oval Liege proofmark between two chambers.
  4. whr_iii

whr_iii New Member

Flipped open chamber cover. Spun cylinder and did not note any stampings or markings either on rear of cylinder or on cylinder cover. Rear of cylinder very heavily brushed. Also noted that appears the cylinder appears to be "lipped" leading me to believe the rim of the inserted round was intended to sit flush with back of cylinder or at least slightly recessed.
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

These type of revolvers were made in great quantity for sale both in Europe and the U.S. Very inexpensive at the time , they sold mail order for only 2 or 3 dollars. The engraving is not top notch and is referred to as bench engraving done on the assembly line bench while they were being assembled. Because there are no records of these guns one can only guess at the date of manufacture. I would guess late 1890 or early 1900s. Belgium was the prime maker of these imported guns but Spain also is a suspect:). I would think the value would be low, it seems to be in good condition, maybe 150 to 200. If I'm too low or too high , someone please post.
  7. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

RJay is spot on. Found a couple similar and one identical gun, all identified as Belgium-made. Sold at auction from $110 to $200 depending on condition. (Most of the auctions were 3-4 years old.) Were all .32 caliber.
  8. whr_iii

whr_iii New Member

Thanks to all for feedback and info. Have a much better feel for period and history of the piece. As I continue to evaluate other inherited pieces I have I look forward to receiving the Forum's input and thoughts.