The Firearms Forum banner

Need help to see what this GR Tower flintlock musket is worth?

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ampaterry 
#1 ·
So I don't have any knowledge when it comes to firearms and that field. My dad came across this GR/Tower engraved flintlock musket at the local swap meet. Ive already read a few forums with this same question of the same type of musket. I have attached some pictures showing the branding, if anyone can help please let me know, thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree, HRF.
In those days, screws were hand made - the ones on this are obviously modern ones.

Have it checked by a gunsmith for safety, and SHOOT it! Black powder arms can be a whole lot of fun to shoot, and flintlocks, with their ignition delay, are a GREAT way to work on eliminating any flinch you might have -

#4 ·
I agree, HRF.
In those days, screws were hand made - the ones on this are obviously modern ones.

Have it checked by a gunsmith for safety, and SHOOT it! Black powder arms can be a whole lot of fun to shoot, and flintlocks, with their ignition delay, are a GREAT way to work on eliminating any flinch you might have -
I agree on its being a modern repro but a good quality tuned lock doesn't have any delay.

#6 ·
I agree on its being a modern repro but a good quality tuned lock doesn't have any delay.
I beg to differ.

Hammer fall takes time.
Spark creation and spark travel to pan takes time.
Ignition of pan charge takes time.
Flash travel from pan through touch hole into main charge takes time.
Main charge ignition takes time.

Compare this to a modern self-contained cartridge and to cap lock, and it is the slowest of the group.

But don't misunderstand me; I LOVE a flinter! Great guns to shoot. And in the historical perspective, so far ahead of all that preceded it! And as a out-in-the-sticks weapon, they had advantages due to the local availability of all ignition components except the powder itself.

#7 ·
Am I seeing things or is the frizzen "spring" cast as one piece with the lock plate? It doesn't look like a separate spring to me.
The broken metal where the frizzen should be attached also looks like it's some powdered metal where it is broken.

I'm thinking it's a non-firing wall hanger.

#8 · (Edited)
Take it to the next swap meet and accept the best offer you can get. To anyone knowledgeable of guns it might be worth something for parts that could be configured to repair something else, otherwise worthless.

OTOH an "interior desecrator" might find it of interest to hang on a wall where authenticity doesn't matter, maybe $100.

#9 ·
I beg to differ.

Hammer fall takes time.
Spark creation and spark travel to pan takes time.
Ignition of pan charge takes time.
Flash travel from pan through touch hole into main charge takes time.
Main charge ignition takes time.

Compare this to a modern self-contained cartridge and to cap lock, and it is the slowest of the group.
I should have said no perceptible delay. Check these out.

This is a modern designed target pistol but still a flintlock.

#10 ·
Am I seeing things or is the frizzen "spring" cast as one piece with the lock plate? It doesn't look like a separate spring to me.
The broken metal where the frizzen should be attached also looks like it's some powdered metal where it is broken.

Looking at it again with my eyes open this time, I think you are right. That spring doesn't look like a separate piece at all.

#12 ·

You could be right!
Need better close-ups to be sure, though -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.