Need help with 1912 DWM luger

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gravitythief, Sep 12, 2012.

1. gravitythief

gravitythief New Member

Good evening,
    I am looking for information/background and or history to a Luger pistol that has been with my family for a very long time. I have very little experience with firearms so any help would be tremendously appreciated. Also any ideas of value would be a plus.

Ive taken a few pics, but i'm not an expert of what is an important marking or where important markings are located, so please excuse any absence of info, etc. I can take more images if needed. The year 1912 is inscribed on the barrel top.
    Thanks to this forum and any expert help.

Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Are there any markings on the front of the handle?
    PM sent also
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The gun appears to be in good shape and from what I can see the numbers match, even the magazine. That adds a lot to the value. The holster is a police holster, so there may be markings on the front of the grip indicating the force to which it was assigned.

The only thiing I see wrong is that someone, probably an American GI, carved/burned his initials into the grip. That will detract from the value UNLESS you know who the man was and can provide some history of him.

The military proof and acceptance marks are normal for the period.

I can't provide much history. The gun was made in 1912 by Deutsche Waffen-und Munitions Fabriken, in Germany. You say it has been in the family a long time so, depending on what a "long time" is, it may have been brought back by an American soldier in either WWI or WWII. If it is a police gun, it was probably captured in WWII, since German police were not disarmed after WWI.

I would make a guess on value at about $2500 including the holster. Let's see what others say.

Jim
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012