NEED HELP WITH 44 MAG RELOADING

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ricknadine1111, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ricknadine1111

ricknadine1111 New Member

I have all redding loading equip such as the hand turrent loading bench model and the redding 44 special/ 44 mag reloading dies set that is titanium carbide.
    The problem I am having is when I seat my bullet the case is wrinkled below the bullet will this affect the performance and why is this happening?
    Should I purchase the redding set that is just for 44 mag not both 44 mag and 44 special, on the redding web sight the bullet seating die sets have different part numbers do you think they are defferent sets or sizes?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

You could be putting too much crimp and crushing your cases. It may help if you could post some photos of the cases. Your dies should be fine for loading 44 mag.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I use the dies for both .44Mag, and .44spcl. I think lawdawg got it right, I agree with his take on this one. Back off on the amount of crimp, and set the bullet so that it doesn't quite make it to the crimp ring, then adjust slowly untill you have what you need.
  4. ricknadine1111

pictures are up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. ricknadine1111

I got it, I adjusted the die set up more in the turrent then tightened the lock ring, now I don't smash the case when I set the bullet, thanks
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

excessive crimp caused that, your die was simply screwed down too far into the press.
  7. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Yup too much crimp crushed the case.

With the 44 mag you'll want a very heavy crimp to keep the bullets from pulling out of the unfired cases in a revolver under recoil. If your cylinder locks up you'll know you need more crimp.

I've fired cases similar to yours that weren't quite so crushed & they ironed out well. What do y'all think about firing some like this?(safety wise)
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have to agree with everyone else, too much crimp.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

you must have a heck of a gun on your arm to pull the handle hard enough to do that to a casing... i wussed out when belling
  10. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

It looks as if they wouldn't fit in the chamber. I would pull them myself.
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1 Being that crumpled, better just to pull'em and scrap the few quarters worth of brass and start over. Pretty severe crimp and that will affect the case volume and the brass is definitely going to be worked pretty hard if fired. Errr on the side of safety here.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If your pistol is a Ruger, and the cases will fit in the cylender, then I would fire them. That will take most, if not all the wrinkle out of the cases. If they don't fit in the cylender, then pull the bullets, and save them, and the powder, and toss the cases.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It really doesnt take a whole lot of force to smash a case, less than resizing the case actually.
  14. Night Driver

Night Driver New Member

I've never been a big fan of a rolled crimp. For one thing they don't always work well, they are definitely bad for accuracy and cause some really hard on brass cases. That and the fact that I seldom shoot a bullet with a cannelure kinda rules them out for me. On the other hand I do use a taper crimp on the heavier .44 and .41 mag loads I brew up. Unfortunately that is an extra cost option with most die sets. Well at least it used to be. Its been a while since I have purchased any reloading dies.

Have you had problems with bullets coming out of cases? The only handgun I ever had do it regularly was a .44 special Charter Arms Bulldog. That gun had an alloy frame and recoiled smartly. I was never able to completely stop that problen with stout reloads. Regardless of what kind and how severe a crimp I put on them. I solved that problem the old fashioned way. I sold the gun.
  15. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

I was thinking back on mine and don't recall having any bullet problems like creaping out. I generally like to shoot full house loads in my Smith, and I did crush the first few like you show in the pics but after adjusting things, I have had better luck.