Need help with a H&R Sportsman 999 revolver

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by magic man, Feb 22, 2011.

1. magic man

magic man New Member

It looks like the tip of the firing pin/hammer is either broken off or bent. From what I can tell it doesn't come out far enough to strike the round.

Here are some pics-
    http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy174/bargainmania/IMG_9965.jpg

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy174/bargainmania/IMG_9964.jpg

Does anyone know if I can still get a new hammer for this? from what I can tell I need the hammer with the firing pin on it. I have found the flat faced hammer and separate firing pin on numrich, but I don't think thats what I need.

The only other problem it has is that is it very hard to pull the hammer back or the trigger double action. This isn't the case when it broken open, so the problem seems to be cylinder being stiff. That should be taken care of with a good cleaning which it'll get tomorrow. I'm sure being in an attic for the past 20+ years didn't help it.

The serial number is D27xxx

Thanks in advance!
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Magic Man,
    Welcome to the forum!
    Your SPORTSMAN, from the serial number, is a fairly early 1st Model, probably made around 1933-34 - depending upon markings and some other features. The flat faced hammer with frame mounted firing pin set-up will NOT work, obviously, with your firearm. To properly test for firing pin protrusion on your gun, you must open the action, pull trigger all the way thru and hold - then push forward on the hammer to see how far the chisel type firing pin extends beyond the breech face. This should not be more than about 1/8" to make proper contact with the rim of cartridge sitting on the edge of the cylinder bore. Check it out.
    If the tip of the firing pin is worn or broken - you will have a difficult time finding the correct hammer short of buying a parts gun - I can't find any vendors who have the correct hammer listed - it would be easier to find a gunsmith that can "build-up" the end of the wedge and re-contour to fit through the frame slot. There are a few very knowledgable gunsmiths on this forum who can, perhaps, suggest how this can be done.
    Good luck, let us know how you make out.

IMG_0187_2.jpg
  3. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

There may be a buildup of crud in the frame or on the face of the hammer which does not permit the hammer from going all the way down. Cleaning away any rust and crud might do the trick. After the revolver has been properly cleaned and oiled, try several different brands of .22 ammo in it to see which brand works best.
  4. magic man

magic man New Member

Thank you! I never thought of pulling the trigger and pushing the hammer in. I was just pushing the hammer in and it was staying even with the breech face.
    If you look at the hammer from the top of the gun, the firing pin still looks slightly bent, but it looks as if it should fire no problem! Another reason I thought the tip was broken was because I was expecting a pointed firing pin, but from the pic you posted it looks like all is well.

Thanks for your help, I will be test firing it today. I'lll let you know what happens.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  5. magic man

magic man New Member

Also, is there a reason suppliers carry the flat hammer and separate firing pin, but not hammer with the firing pin on it? Is it more common?
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Magic-
    When the original H&R ARMS Co./H&R INC. went out of business in Feb of 1986 - NUMRICH/Gun Parts Corp. purchased the vast majority of left over parts and works in progress. Numrich has been selling these parts for 30 years - there are MILLIONS of H&R handguns in public hands - many need/or have needed repair and parts over the years - supplies have dwindled. What Numrich offers in their on-line parts catalogue are what they have in some quantity. Parts for the older Sportsman pieces have been pretty much used up over that period, but the more modern, post 1952, parts are still in good quantity, so they are included in catalogue. Numrich MAY have a couple hammers with firing pins, too few to enter in catalogue, in inventory - to find out will require a phone call to their parts Dept - those folks will check what they have. Be advised, there are several different iterations of the hammer used during the 3 models and about 20 variations of the Sportsman made between 1932 and 1986 - and some parts made by H&R LLC after 1991.

p.s. You're welcome and thanks for thanking! Let us know how you make out - if no go - that's when the "smiths" take over - the internists - I'm merely an externalist.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  7. magic man

magic man New Member

It worked! Thanks for the info guys.

I have a new question now. The ejector will come out to eject the rounds, but it does not reset. I have to push it back down before loading it. If I don't pay attention when emptying the brass the ejector will come out also. There are threads on the ejector rod. Is there supposed to be a nut or something on there that keeps the ejector from falling out?

Thanks again guys!
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Majic -
    IIRC: The ejector rod threads into a bushing/coupler inside the cylinder. Try turning it back into a tight fit. There is also a coil spring on the ejector rod, inside the cylinder that should retract the ejector - that may be broken - OR - simplest fix - try lubing the heck out of the ejector mechanism - both inside the cylinder and inside the quill or arbor into which the ejector rod fits. I've had some that were so badly gummed up that they wouldn't come out and/or wouldn't go back - let's hope it's an easy fix.
    Glad it WORKED - fired? - for you. You're welcome and thanks for thanking.
  9. magic man

magic man New Member

All it needed was to be threaded back in. Thanks for the help guys!

Now to get the rust off and get it reblued.
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

magic,
    Really glad to hear THAT. You're welcome and thanks for thanking. Keep in touch with the progression of your project.