Need help with a Star 'S' Model .380

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hackercat13, Feb 11, 2011.

1. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

Hey all!
    I have an older Star .380 'S' model, and my recoil spring is in sad shape. I have tried all the usual options (Numrich, Hoosier Gun Parts, even Jack First), and had zero luck. I even emailed Bob's gun parts, but he never responded. Can ANYONE help me finding a new (or gently used) recoil spring for this pistol?

Thanks in advance!
    Chris
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

check out bobs gun shop ( do a google search ) or check out wolffe springs. you should find one that will match .
  3. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

I emailed Bobs (no response) and his web page says he does not have that spring. Wolffe does not have them either, but said they'd make me one (or match one up I guess) if I can give them some very accurate measurements. That may be my best bet at this point.
  4. Old John

Old John New Member

Well, you didn't mention Midway. I have head they are a good source for "parts".
    I haven't needed to try them yet..........They advertise a lot on the Wednesday evening Gun shows on Outdoor Channel.

Here's a Link: http://www.midwayusa.com/

Good Luck!
  5. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

I did try Midway at your suggestion, They don't have any Star parts. I am starting to think that I may need to get some calipers and take the measurements. I hope I can be accurate enough for Wolffe to find me one.
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

lenght and diameter is ll you need and it doesn't have to be perfect. surely there is a in production recoil spring that will be a good match
  7. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

I was asked for length, diameter, wire thickness, colis per inch, and inside diameter. I wouldn't think this was too hard to find, but I want to make sure it's right.
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I have owned and worked on an awful lot of Star pistols, and I have never seen one with a worn-out recoil spring. Unless the spring is rusted, I doubt there is anything wrong with it.
    Why is it in "sad shape?"
  9. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

It has a pretty good kink in the middle. I bought it used from an old work aquaintence, so I am not sure how this hapened. If you take the spring off the recoil spring guide, and sit it on a flat surface, it has about a 5-10 degree angle to it. I don't think the slide 'snaps' closed after pressing the slide release as it should either.
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the last person that had it messed it up and put it back in as is/was. Looks like you have tried about all places I would have looked for one...good luck finding one and hope you do soon.
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...just hit me, have you tried Brownells?
  12. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

Yeah, they don't even list Star as a manufacturer they have any parts for.
  13. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The spring guide will keep the spring from kinking. I doubt it needs to be replaced. Can you post a picture?
  14. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

Here are a couple photos of the spring next to the recoil spring guide. It's a pretty good bend. Wolff couldn't help me, so now I am a bit stumped. Maybe a custom spring manufacturer....but that could get pretty expensive. What I need is a parts gun!
    Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]