The Firearms Forum banner

Need help with blackpowder corrosion!

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  BlackEagle 
#1 ·
So i shot my blackpowder revolver and apparently i missed a couple of spots when i was cleaning it because when i checked it today and there was some very minor corrosion around the nipples. Ive already scrubbed it with oil but it didnt seem to affect it. Does anone know a way to get it off?

#5 ·
If you can take the nipples out and get to the rust with a copper penny that will remove the rust without harming the bluing if there's any left there. You might soak it in Kroil first to loosen it up. Next time you clean after shooting completely immerse the cylinder in hot soapy water and scrub the nipple area with an old toothbrush.

#13 ·
You might try a tooth-brush sized bronze wire brush and hot soapy water--don't use regular steel wool, it will remove the bluing. After you get it cleaned up, rinse it with boiling water then let it air dry. The heated metal should dry itself in just a minute or two. When still warm, oil it and put it back together. Check it regularly to see if the rust starts to come back.

#19 ·
We don't go for fightin' words here in the discussions. We go in for discussions and exchange of ideas (some of which can be pretty lively), but not fights. We do have smilies to show we are just joking.

I use pyrodex. As soon as I get home I take it all apart and soak it in hot soapy water, and scrub the barrel and cylinder down with a bronze brush; the rest, including the slots for the nipples, with a scotchbrite pad. Then into the oven at the lowest temperature it will produce heat--@170deg F. I leave it in there for about 15-30 minutes, take it out and promptly swab it all over with light machine oil. A .410 swab does nicely in the barrel and cylinder chambers of my .44 NMA.

I read somewhere that the hot metal absorbs the oil better, so I wear gloves while oiling it down bcause the metal is still hot.

I haven't had any problems with rust.

#20 ·
I dont have problems with rust ether. I clean with hot soapy water as soon as I get home. Oil it down after that. I run a few patched down the barrel with oil after I am done. Before I go to shoot it I pour some alcohol down the barrel to remove any oil...

No fighting words allowed on this forum.:)

#23 ·
They say the pen is mightier than the sword. That was way back when...Today: keyboards and guns? :p :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.