1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need help with Civil War Era gun!!!

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by AuburnAlum15, Apr 19, 2012.

1. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

Hey guys,

Fairly new member here. I recently recevied an old Kentucky Long rifle from my grandfather's collection and am trying to get more info on it. My grandfather passed in 2004, but I always remember him saying it was a Civil War gun.

From the research I've done so far, it looks to be of that era, but I'm also concerned it may be an older replica.

On the side, it has the engraving "Perin Gaff & Co." and also has an engraving of what appears to be a Pointer (dog). It has a brass stock plate with a flip up door that exposes a compartment for patch storage. It also has a wooden ram-rod and hex barrel. It also has double set triggers.

What concerns me on the replica issue is that the stock has several brass and pearl inlays that I wouldnt think would have been done when the gun was originally made. There are brass and pearl stars set in the stock along with a couple diamond shaped pearl inlays on each side of the forestock. They do appear to be hand made as they are not symmetrical, but I dont know if they are original. I've posted a few pictures for reference.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Is your concern about the inlays the material used, or do you not believe inlays would have been done at all?
  3. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

I'm concerned the inlays wouldnt have been done on a real Civil War era gun. Thus making the likelihood of this one being a reproduction.

However, I do have hopes that this is an authentic gun, and that someone did the inlaying years later as some kind of adornment.

I just dont know enough about gun making in this era to know if this was originally done by Perin Gaff & Co, or one of the owners of the gun.

Thoughts?
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Try getting us a pic of the entire gun. Try taking macro pics that show detail without using flash. Try photographing it outside in diffuse (North) daylight.
  5. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

I'll take more pictures tonight with a different camera. The ones I've already posted are actually with my iPhone with no flash. I'll re-post more in the morning.
  6. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Perin and Gaff Manufacturing Company operated in Cincinnati, Ohio from 1861-1884. They were importers and dealers, so almost anything could show up with their markings. Most sporting rifles of the period look very similar, with octagon barrels and half stocks, and lots had double set triggers.
    What caliber is yours?
    GO DAWGS !!!!!
  7. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Those Georgia folk are always so noisy and they want to dress in that garish red and black. Oh well, at least they are in the SEC and we have to overlook the some of the more eccentric relatives. He did give good information although in the normally rowdy way.
    War Eagle '71
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

You have a Civil War vintage Pennysylvania/Kentucky long rifle but it's not a CW rifle. Inlays were common with some being very ornate and installed after it left the makers hands. Who the maker was is a good question and one that will most likely never be answered. Somebody replaced the trigger set screw with a modern round head screw so the set trigger probably doesn't work right.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  9. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

Thanks for everyone's info. At the request of "Hammerslagger," i took more pictures last night and posted below. It seems the consensus may actually be that the gun is authentic and of the Cival War period, just not a military gun. I also checked the length and caliber last night and this is what I found:

Overall Length: 52.75"
    Barrel Length: 37.25"

Caliber: .35 (this is the best reading I could get with my calipers)

I'd be real interested to know if there is a way to find the exact year of manufacture and possibly a value on the gun. (For insurance purposes only. It has a lot of centimental value to me and I dont plan to sell it)

Thanks again for any input!

WAR EAGLE!!!

Attached Files:

10. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

more pics....

Attached Files:

11. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

last set of pics...

Attached Files:

12. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

When you state that it is a War Between the States era rifle,you are probably correct. During the early beginnings of the war militias and other groups that took up the cause of the Confederacy used whatever arms were available to them at the time. Yours appears to have been a flinter that was converted to percussion piece to sustain a quicker rate of fire and could use military caps that were available. It is very likly a .36 caliber that was used for hunting.:confused::confused::confused::D
  13. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Additionally your rifles stock and barrel probably predate the war and the sideplate and lock were made during the war and probably installed at that time.:confused: