The Firearms Forum banner

Need help with ID of relic flintlock mechanism

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Buffalochip 
#1 ·
Greetings. This is my first post with the Firearms Forum. I have had this flintlock assembly, (if that is the correct term?) for 30 years. I have seem similar that let me believe it is from a pistol based on its design and size. In my many attempts to identify it I have not been fortunate enough to do so.
The piece is functional in that it is not rust frozen and the flint screw moves freely and the striker and spring move freely.
There is very nice engraving on the plate and what appears to be a maker's nae of A V? Walton, Charleston followed by what seems to read patented on the bottom. I will post a photo with this thread. If anyone can help I would be grateful.
I hope I did this correctly.
regards,
Steven

See less See more
#2 ·
Very few gunsmiths in the age of flint build rifles from scratch. They would buy a ready made lock, perhaps from a catalog, barrels from another source, or they might even make his own barrels but almost always the lock was from a specialty maker. They then would build a rifle or pistol. You've already identified what you have, a lock made by A.V. Walton. There may be contributor's who have the reference that can tell you the time frame that this maker was in business. But, if you are looking to identify what firearm it was attached too, well , I think you have problems. Many times these locks were reused several times before they were retired. It may have been on a number of different firearms.

#3 ·
and if'n your looking to sell it , it may find another rifle to be mounted , maybe even in Australia ;) its a nice looking lock and not a lot to get functional compared to many

i'm more up on british and colonial makers , sorry but if you wish to sell let me know ..

#6 · (Edited)
i'll offer $160 and USPS costs to Oz i'll charge it out at $250-270 after resto ( between $55-85 and time ) in a period repro flinter for someone here

its quite a nice looking piece and would suit a primate lifestyler

you could restore it yourself , and get similar sale dollars there (250-270) there , maybe more , you've a bigger market

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.