The Firearms Forum banner

Need help with scope choice, Marlin 45-70 1895

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  soggybottomFLboy 
#1 ·
New member to forum, long time reader, first thread post. Just picked up a Marlin 1895 45-70, 22''. She's a beaut, walnut and blue steel. I've been doing some searchin and think I want a scout type scope mounted forward of action. I was considering a leopold FX series, maybe fixed power between 2-4x. Is the XS sight systems weaver style rail with low quick release rings a good combo and sound choice? I also wanted to install ghost ring sights for pigs and heavy palmeto type brush. This is my first gun over thirty cal, I like hornady's lever action line in my former 94 win. Is that a sound choice? Any comments, tips or insults would be much welcome.

#2 ·
howdy, welcome to the forum. God bless you!

the marlin is a fine, and fun gun. the quick detach rings is a good idea so, if you're in the field and the scope gets knocked out of alignment you can quickly revert to irons. i would recommend making sure your irons are sighted in before you mount the scope also.

for a scope, leopold is my top pick although there are other good ones, redfield, burris and nikon are good too. i would definitely go fixed power, probably 4 power.

#3 ·
as was said,a 4 power scope would be ideal for this gun.for my two cents worth,these guns are made very strong and can be fired with hotter rounds than most factory stuff.kind of crazy but i reload for mine and am ready for any elephants or rampaging water buffalows in my neighborhood. old semperfi

#4 ·
Thanks guys for the replies and advice. I will start looking for a good 4x soon. Heading up to TN mountains soon and I will season the barrel and then start mounting my sights and scope. I am in love with this gun, and have not even fired it yet. I would head to the range, but I don't want to clog up a stall all day for barrel break in. Lookin forward to some more posts soon. God Bless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.