Need help with scope rings on Marlin 336 30-30

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by renegadederrick, Feb 14, 2012.

1. renegadederrick

renegadederrick Former Guest

Hey Guys,

I bought a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC scope today at my local wolly world to start getting ready for this years hunting season, & I need some help picking the right scope rings for it. Well I watched a few youtube vids on it & one thing everyone says is go as low as you can go. When I watched Midways vid on it Larry said if you go too low you will have to dig your cheek into the stock of the rifle to get the proper view of the scope. This is my first time picking this stuff for one of my rifles & I don't want to get it wrong. I will be using Leupold 1 piece scope mount with Leupold 1" scope rings. Thanks!
  2. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    How would that be different if you used the iron sights? You're not going to get any lower than them.
  3. renegadederrick

I am not sure lol, just don't want to make a mistake.
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Derrick, I dont know what type thye are, but on my 336 I have a set taht you can look through and see the iron sights if you want. They do not put me out of position for a good shot by being too high. I think they work great. Especially on the 30-30, being able to use both is handy since for close range shots in brush, it is easier to look down the iron sights. Just a thought. I dont think I would worry about going too low, though....
  5. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Look like enough room?

I was looking at the 336 on this page;
    Model 336A - Also Available with Mounted Scope
    It looks like a lot of room if the rear sight is removed or your scope's objective bell is far enough forward.

I've read on sites that have said with a 40mm objective bell, the low rings will work with the rear sight removed. If you want to keep the sight on, maybe go with a medium ring height.
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

For some reason I think my rings are mounted directly to my reciever and not on any kind of base. I'll have to give it a look when I get home this morning.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of the DNZ Gamereaper mounts. They cost the same as the Leupold setup and are one piece integral mounts. I have one on my Marlin 1894 .44 mag. And the best part about em is since they are one piece theres no need to lap the rings. everything is machined in line.

Medium height is what you need whichever way you go. Go low if youre gonna use a small scope, and High if you use a scope with an objective bigger than 44mm. That 3-9X40 will be right at home in a medium height setup.

Heres a pic of the gamereaper on my .44mag.. This model fits all the marlin leverguns.

Attached Files:

8. renegadederrick

Thanks everyone for your input,

Hey JLA I like the way your 1894 looks. I think that is what I am going to go with.
  9. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Yes that's an awesome setup!!
  10. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

That looks like a very solid setup.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It is, most solid ive tested. and the anchor screws are twice as big as normal mounts. I think the hex is 5/32 and they come with grade 8 hardware. you can really put some torque on them.

Even with full power 240 gr XTPs over 24 gr Li'l Gun runnin 1800 fps it stays put, scope aint moved in over 200 rds so far.