Need help with the winchester.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by siuetim, Jan 27, 2012.

1. siuetim

siuetim New Member

My father passed away two months ago and I inherited his father's rifle. After some research I believe it is a Model 1906 Winchester Expert model. The serial # is 226XXX. I am looking for someone to fix the rifle, but use orginal parts. You can't tell but there is some damage to the stock and some of the screws that are missing. Also for some reason the pump wont work unless you press the firing pin. I attached some pics to see if my research is right about the model. Should I look for Winchester repair stores or would a local gun dealer be good enough? Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. BillM

BillM Active Member

3. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

The grooved slide handle does not denote an expert model, iirc. I was thinking they were used on later manufactured rifles. Both of mine are early ones with smooth handles. The expert has a very uniquely shaped handle compared to other pump rifles. If there is a chance the broken piece of your butt stock still exists, it would be an easy fix that would not look like has been repaired, if done correctly. You rifle should be able to fire short long and long rifle interchangeably. The butt stocks are readily available along with replacement butt plates. If you drop the hammer all the way, can you cycle the pump handle thru? Is there spring tension on the hammer?
  4. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

This is my Model 62, a first cousin to your rifle. It was given to me years ago by a member of the family.

[​IMG]