1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

need help

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rocweiller, May 29, 2012.

1. Sherrer1*

Sherrer1* Member

I agree with the last post. when I first started reloading 223 about 6 years ago I ran into the same problem. After reviewing with a local gun and reloading professional I learnedthat I wasnt setting my seating die right.
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

This may or may not work to set up the seating die, you may still encounter the "crimp" this way.
    The way I set up my Seating dies.
    Screw the seating die into the press just enough to get it started, back the seating stem way out or remove it completely.

Place a sized and trimmed case in the shell holder and raise the ram.

Screw the seating die into the press until you feel the die make contact with the case neck.

Back the die out of the press at least one full turn and lock it down.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Using a factory round as a gage is NOT the way to do it. Are the bullets exactly the same?

You need to:

-Read and follow the instruction for the die set for both the sizing and seating die

-Read and understand how reloading works. The best source I have found is the Hornady reloading manual as it has some good pictures to illustrate the results of both proper reloading and common errors. When finished reading it once, read it all again and again until you dream about it.

-Memorize the correct nomenclature like cartridge case, bullet, primer, case-overall-length, cartridge-overall length, throat of the case, shoulder of the case, extractor groove of the case, body of the case, etc....

-Use the dimension in the reloading manuals for the finished cartridge for the bullets you are using, not some generic about the same bullet.

-Until you can make ammo that fits you gun and operates it correctly, use a cartridge gage to assure everything is OK. DO NOT USE THE GUN AS THIS GAGE since it would require loading the gun with live ammo and closing the bolt in the confines of your home. If that is your only option take the gun and the potential ammo to the range, point the gun down range there to test the cartridge for proper fit in your gun. A cartridge gage removes all that danger. Safety first!!

You can not be well enough informed about the processes of reloading. Done wrong they can be extremely dangerous.

LDBennett