need help.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by luckyfugal, Sep 9, 2009.

1. luckyfugal

luckyfugal New Member

ok i am new to this forum and to reloading. So hello everyone and thank you in advance.

ok I have a Remington Model 700 cdl 7mm rem mag, 26"
    So i thought i had got a good load worked up. that being a hornady 161.6 grn bullet, winchester case all messured to 2.490 exact and weighed out at 131.6 grns, and a light charge of 59 grns IMR 4831. I was able to shoot 12 rounds under a quarter at 100 yrds with this recipe.

however, sense then i cant hold a 0 for more than 3-4 rounds. i have never had this issue before and i must say i am starting to get frustrated. I think it is my optics, my friend thought it was shooter error until i let him try with the same results. so he now thinks its the load. I just bought a new scope (Intinstity 6.5-20 X 44mm a/o optics with fully multi-coated lenses.) I dont know where to start?

here are a few other loads i have tryed so far.

sierra 160 grn spbt
    winchester case
    60-63.5 grns IMR 4831

barnes txs 140 grn
    winchester case
    162-166 grns IMR 4831

hornady 162 grn spbt
    winchester case
    59-63 grns IMR 4831
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Scope mounts loose?
  3. luckyfugal

luckyfugal New Member

nope i checked those accouple of times now. hopeing it was something like that.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

If you can get your hands on a ring lapper, set it up on the rings and see if you have any misalignment. Seems to me that the optics are the issue here also, maybe some twist or undue stress on the scope tube; this could definetly cause the problem you're describing.
  5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Exactly when did the problem begin? Before the new scope, or after?
  6. mikld

mikld Active Member

Maybe your barrel is fouled with copper; jacket material?
  7. luckyfugal

luckyfugal New Member

It started after the new scope. Which is why its my first guess.

Copper fouling good thought, I plugged the muzzle and gave the bore a good dose of ammonia for about 10-15 min. Then scrubed with a bore brush till it gleamed. But it didnt resolve the issue.

I tightend the scope rings a bit. I'm scared to over tighten them and damage my optics, but it did seam that might have improved the shot grouping. However there was some good heat wave interferance, which as you'all know can cause your shots to walk on the target a bit. So maybe with some luck it will hold a 0 with the heat waves removed from the equation. I'll let you all know yes/no on the out come.

Thanks for the help so far. I appriciate all of it.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

This tells me one thing and i would pretty much bet a paycheck that if you follow my .02 of advice, you'll have a repeatable zero, if you haven't already tweaked your scope tube.

Align your rings and torque your scope mounts, this is the only way to ensure that you don't damage a scope.

If you don't have the means to align and torque the mount; then by all means take it to a local gunsmith and have him do it; it will be worth every penny. Less frustration, no damage to equipment and you'll be able to hit what you're aiming at! Good luck to you!
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

If it started after the new optics install, that would be my first suspect too.

Also what type of mounts are you using? Pretty much every factory-barreled Remington that I've ever scoped out has been so far off of center that most scope mount systems won't align to the barrel without getting the windage adjustment in the scope too far one way or the other. If your scope is on the extreme of their adjustment range some brands/models will have a hard time keeping a zero.
    On the rifle end of the equation, I think it's an issue of the barrel not being threaded to the receiver as square s it should be...and some brands of scope have a larger adjustment range than others too, so that might be why the old scope could get "dialed in".
    I usually use Redfield dovetail style bases with the windage screw out back so I can get the scope boresighted with it's adjustments as close to the center of their range as possible.

I don't know anything about ATK's scope lines...no dealers in my area so I haven't had a chance to check them out in person. Is is a rebrand of one of the Weaver models? (ATK bought out Weaver last year).
  10. luckyfugal

luckyfugal New Member

I dont have any tools for scope alignment and such. So I'll have my gunsmith buddy check all thoughs possibility's out on the mounts/rings tomorrow.

thank you.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  11. luckyfugal

luckyfugal New Member

I don't know anything about ATK's scope lines...no dealers in my area so I haven't had a chance to check them out in person. Is is a rebrand of one of the Weaver models? (ATK bought out Weaver last year).[/QUOTE]

I am not sure. i just know it was recommended by a gunsmith i know, and was replacing my old simmons 3X9. which didnt hold up so well on the 7MM. I use the simmons for a baby raddle now. lol