Need Help

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by springerbuster, Sep 11, 2009.

1. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

I am new to reloading and have a question on resizing. I have just set up my new Hornady LNL press and have ran about 1000 rds of once fired 223 brass through my full length resizing die. Before priming or charging I thought I would try to chamber them in my AR15. They seem to chamber rather hard and do not want to eject. I have a hard time getting them to extract. The factory ammo that I have chambers normally. I should add that I also trimmed the cases to 1.745 inches so I know that they are not to long. I then took 10 rds and ran them through the sizing die for a second time and they seem to chamber fine. My question is, is this normal? Shouldn't one time through the sizing die be enough? I should also add that the brass was originally fired in the same gun. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

springerbuster, welcome to the forum, hope you stick around.

I will say this and I don't know if it would matter (but it might) the TRIM TO length for .223 service rifle (AR 15) is 1.750 so they may actually be too short for the extractor to grab them when chambered without a bullet.

NO, you do not have to run them through the resizer twice. It is possible that when you resized them the second time, it stretched the neck just enough for the extractor to get grab them the second time you tried.

This is just my opinion on the reason, but I am sure someone will come along and be able to give you a good answer.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  3. springerbuster

Thanks gmoody for the reply. I should add that before I trimmed the cases I had the same problem ( I thought my problem may be that they were to long). The cases seem to fit to tight in the chamber. The ejector grabs hold of the case okay but you have to pull real hard to get it to eject.
  4. gdmoody

I do not know what might be causing it, I would advise you to completely load a couple of rounds and try them. It might have something to do with the empty case in the chamber???????? Just be sure to follow the recipe in your reloading manual for weight of powder and so forth and be careful.
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I believe that the .223 REM. (5.56 NATO) like most bottleneck rimless cartridges headspaces on a datum point on the shoulder, not the case mouth

You may have your resizing die end too close to (or actually hitting) the shell holder. In which case you may be "setting the shoulder back" creating an excess headspace situation. There are finished ammo gage dies available from places like Midway.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Y'know, every set of die set-up instructions I have (rifle or pistol, straight case or bottleneck), from Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Pacific and RCBS, say to screw the sizing die down until it bottoms out on the shell holder, and then to screw it down 1/8 to 1/4 turn more, to take the slack out of the linkage.

If anything, you might not have it screwed down far enough, and are not moving the shoulder back far enough to chamber.

Or, possibly, you have it screwed down far enough, but on your first run-through you did not run the ram all the way up. Maybe you stopped just shy of a full stroke, because of the force needed to size, and when you ran them up the second time, since they were 99% resized, there was very little force needed, and you ran them completely into the die that time.

If this is your first time reloading, you might not have realized the amount of force needed to size brass, and stopped before you had a full stroke.

If the sizing die is screwed down as far as it will go, and it is moving the shoulder back too far, you have defective dies.
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Alpo makes a valid point. I picked up on the extractor not engaging the rim.

Lee packages and sells a water soluble wax sizing lubricant in a toothpaste size tube. It is the material commonly used in industrial brass drawing operations. A little goes a long way. It seems to reduce brass friction with steel like magic. Most gun shops that sell reloading supplies sell it. Get some.
  8. springerbuster

Thanks for all of your replies. I will try all of the different options you guys have given me and hopefully have a solution. Thanks again for your help.
  9. springerbuster

Problem solved. I thought I had the sizer die down far enough, decided to try screwing it down a little farther and the brass chambers and ejects like it should. Next step, figuring out how to charge the cases. Thanks for all of your advice.
  10. gdmoody

springer, Do you have a scale to weigh the powder charges?
  11. springerbuster

Yes I do, gdmoody. I purchased an electronic scale at the same time that I bought the press. Since I haven't charged any cases yet I have not used it. Tomorrow I plan to set the powder drop up and try to complete some rounds.
  12. gdmoody

Good luck, have fun, but most of all just be careful. Even though reloading is not rocket since, in some ways that is exactly what it is.
  13. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Yep, the LNL is a bit more involved when setting the sizing die in station one, it can be decieving when raising the shell plated fully and looking inside the surface of the plate and bottom of the die. And some dies like Lee and RCBS have less than 1/2 thread remaining on the die body when you get it far enough down to resized the shoulder correctly. I think this the Hornady "gotchya" comes into play, however Lyman dies have enough threads to work well with the LNL.

BTW were in The H-E double toothpicks are all these spammers coming from......lets punt these guys!!!
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011