need info on.30 cal. sabots

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by shotgunsal, Mar 15, 2006.

1. shotgunsal

shotgunsal New Member

I have .30 cal. sabots for loading .224 diameter bullets. I need loading data for .30-06 and .308 for these sabots ,using.55 gr.& .60 gr. bullets .224 diameter. Can any one help me?
  2. mikecyr

mikecyr New Member

Hello,

I have loaded 62 gr SS109 military projectiles on top of 3 gr Delrin (plastic) sabots. I have not run them past my chronograph just yet as I am trying to determine where the sabots will drop off and not affect the reading.

My Model 700 has a 1 in 10 twist to it and I generally run 180 gr bullets throught it. I'll use 180 gr Sierra Game Kings for hunting and Hornady 178gr A-Max for target shooting. I load these on top of 42gr of 4064.

My test loads with the 65gr sabot + SS109 were done with the same 42 gr of 4064. The max load data sheet that I have for these sabots seem to indicate that the max powder charge would exceed the case capacity anyway. With 42gr of 4064 the sabot rounds are about 3 inches higher at a hundred than the 178's or 180's. recoil is next to nothing.

The trouble with the sabots are that their length limits you in playing with their seated depth. The bearing surface of the sabot itself is about as long as the case neck is. I have also noticed that a standard resizing of the case presents a situation with starting the seating of the sabots. They are flat based and are really sqaure at the bottom. I think that I am going to experiment with a .30 carbine powder die for my Dillon powder measure to bell the mouth of the case ever so slightly to get past that.

Once the weather warms up again, or I get bored enough to trudge out to my shooting site in the snow, I will be going forward with the chronograph and such. If the accuracy is there I am really looking forward to playing with these things. I don't really have any intention of developing any loads for use on any kind of game though.

I hope this sheds some light on anything you didn't already know. But I can also offer the following that I found online as a starting point.

http://www.tiropratico.com/ricarica/manuali/Sabot_cal30.pdf

Be safe then have fun!

Mike
  3. headshot_killer

headshot_killer New Member

where can I get those Sabots in South Africa??? I want some to cull blesbuck. How's the accuracy in .308win?