1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need info on 4 old bolt guns.....

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Tony Mig, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I was recently given 4 old rimfire bolt action rifles. The were not treated very well as you will see in the photo, all have a good deal of rust, and the furniture is in dire need of refinishing. One is missing it's trigger gaurd, and the only magazine fed rifle in the group has no markings, and is rusted together.

[​IMG]

The top one is a Springfield model 53A
    The next one with the finger groove stock is also a Springfield, but has mo model number.....????
    The third one is a Winchester Model 60
    The one on the bottom has no markings that I can find, so it's make and model are a mystery to me...

Any history, information, comments, or advice is welcome.....
  2. dusty9

dusty9 Member

The one on the bottom is a Mossberg model 342. It was made from 1958 thru about 1974.

While I am not 100% sure, I believe the second one with the finger groove stock is either a Stevens-Springfield model 82 or model 83. The 82 would have an open rear sight and the 83 would have a peep rear sight. Both were made from 1935 to 1939.
  3. Steve1002

Steve1002 New Member

The second one looks just like my Springfield 53-B single-shot.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  4. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

The Mossberg was identified and confirmed as a model 142 since posting this, it seems that Mossberg put out a lot of different models through the years, and many of them look a lot like others, and this creates some confusion in identifying old Mossy's....

Both Springfield rifles are in fact single shot's, the 53A has a manual set hammer, and the other one has an auto set hammer, the barrel on the 53A is about 2" longer, other than the finger groove stock, that's the only difference between them. Neither rifle has the name Stevens on them, they only say "Springfield Arms".....
  5. Steve1002

Steve1002 New Member

The 53-B safety is engaged by pulling straight back on the knob at end of the bolt and rotating the lower protruding piece of square stock out of the hole at the bottom, and releasing the knob. To take it off safety you simply pull back again and rotate the same piece of square stock back into the lower hole and release the knob.

Maybe this will help you in identifying it.
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Pretty much how this one works Steve...

I cleaned it up enough to get it back together so I could test fire it.....
    [​IMG]

It wasn't the best of days for accuracy testing, cold, with gusting winds @ 15 to 25 mph blowing cross range. But I went 20 rounds with it on a Caldwell Rock benchrest shooting @ 50 Yds.
    First target I used CCI Blazers and it took two shots to get zero'ed into the black.....
    [​IMG]

I shot another 10 rounds, this time using Remington Target, and put all 10 into the black.....
    [​IMG]

Considering the weather conditions, grade of ammo, and the fact this gun hasn't been fired in 40+ years....I don't think it's doing too bad.
    The trigger could use some work, it breaks clean, but a bit on the heavy side.

When I got home, I took it apart to finish the stock...(still needs a few more coats of tung oil)....while I had it apart, I decided to give the barrel and receiver the full treatment. Cleaned it up with naval jelly, then about 2 hours with emory cloth and oil. I need to pick up more Blue Wonder to re-blue it, once I'm done I'll post a pic of the finished product......
  7. Steve1002

Steve1002 New Member

Here's mine. The "53-B" on mine is right in front of the dovetail for the rear sight, right on top of the barrel.

That's some pretty decent shootin' with that old beast.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  8. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Looks exactly like mine Steve, but my rifle has no model designation...at all....anywhere's.
    I also have a 53A, but it is manual cocking, the barrel is a couple inches longer, the stock is a different wood, and no finger groove.....:confused:

I just finished the #3, and I'll have the #53A back together in a few days.
  9. Steve1002

Steve1002 New Member

Maye the barrel-stamper had the day off when yours came through.;)
  10. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Or, perhaps the gun was headed to a hardware store.