Need info on Husqvarna 30 06

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JONNYD, Sep 15, 2008.

1. JONNYD

JONNYD New Member

Hello, I recently was given my deceased fathers Husqvarna 30 06 rifle and was wanting to see if I can find out some detailed info on it. I have taken some pics to show serial #'s etc. also some close ups of the scope and mounts. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. sbhva

sbhva New Member

Your rifle is a model 4100 made in 1959.
  3. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

Per my 2007 Standard Catalog of Firearms (pg. 609-610), it is indeed a Model 4100 Lightweight. Values run like this:
    Exc. -$575
    V.G.- $475
    Good -$350
    Fair - $300
    Poor - $200
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  4. JONNYD

JONNYD New Member

Thanks a bunch. I want to preserve this rifle as a tribute to my dad, as this was his baby and had it since new. I'd like to get it refinished and have it look new again. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks-
  5. cbaker

cbaker New Member

First time on TFF. This is interisting. I have a Husqvarna Vapenfabriks that looks exacly like JONNYD' s gun. The difference being the info is stamped on the left side of the barrel. (HUSQVARNA VAPENFBRIKS AB Nitro MOD C SWEDEN 363977) On the top of the barrel is stamped SMITH & WESSON .30-06 I do not have camera to take pic's rite now. Would this still be a model 4100 ?
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your dad's rifle looks really nice as it is. If you "refinish it" it will lose value and originality. I realize you will never want to sell it, but most people who love firearms like them in their original condition. Besides, unless you spend $600 to $1000 you will end up with a really poor job. The scratches and blemishes it has now should be a sentimental reminder of how your dad handled and loved it. Leave that rifle alone.

7. kendradad

kendradad New Member

8. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Diddo Wonderwhippet said. If you have it refinished and have all of the scratches and blemishes removed, it's not your dad's rifle any more. It would be like having an old framed family photo restored and the faces accidentally get airbrushed over.
  9. sbhva

sbhva New Member

Your rifle is a S&W model C made by Husqvarna. It uses a different action than the rifle that started this thread. It does look similar to the 4100.
  10. JLC

JLC New Member

Also my first time on TFF. I also have a Husqvarna 30-06 like Jonnyd except mine has
    a blonde colored stock and the serial number is 112371. Is this still a model 4100 and
    what year was it made? Any price diff. from Jonnyd's? Any help is greatly appreciated.

JLC
  11. sbhva

sbhva New Member

No, it's not a model 4100. The serial number is way too early to be that model. Pics would be needed to determine what model it is.
  12. sniper

sniper New Member

i also have a hus 30-06 model no 201513 is mine a 4100
  13. sbhva

sbhva New Member

I need pictures or a very detailed description in order to tell you what model you have.
  14. williamd

williamd New Member

Very nice. Have a 30-06 and a 243 by Husqvarna. Short bbl makes great to carry. HVA actions are very good. 06 is just like yours ... has an older Weaver K3. My 243 is labeled Smith & Wesson on the bbl. Husqvarna/Carl Gustaf built a few for S&W; three variations.
  15. j3hill

j3hill New Member

There are alot of Husky's out there, they were a reasonably price rifle way back, and you can still find them in the closets of granpa's and old timers. I have a 30 .06 #102402 that is one of the most accurate rifles I have shot outside of my Arnold. I love it and would never part with it. I do hate the flip over saftey because the scope mounts have to be to high for it to clear, but the 500.00-700.00 bucks that I see them going for nowadays does not come close to the centamental value. Keep your Husky in original condition.
  16. artabr

artabr New Member

JonnyD, I've gotta go with everybody else. I would leave it as is. It's a beautiful seasoned looking rifle that will only lose its value if you refinish it. This is the condition your dad left it in, I wouldn't mess with it. ;) :)

Welcome to the forum.

Art
  17. Hannie

Hannie New Member

Hi guys. Im a South African owning a 30-06 Husqvarna, serial 159964. Does anyone have info on this rifle and what it is worth? I have problems with the stock / scope hight. seems like the rifle was build for open sight shooting only.
    Took it to a gunsmith a week ago to mount a ajustable cheek piece.... just saw the posts today were the guys say it is not advisable to modify the rifle :confused:
  18. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Hannie, what it is is, collectors want their guns in as close to original condition as possible. If you make any modifications to your gun, the "collector value" goes away. Truthfully, I don't know of anybody collecting Huskies. Well, aside from me, that is. :)

Anyway, you're right. The rifle was designed to be used with iron sights, and when you mount a scope on it the scope is too high to see comfortably with your head in the correct position on the stock. The only solution is to get a higher stock.

You can have another stock made, with a higher cheekpiece, saving your original stock so that, if sometime in the future, some collector wants to buy it, then you still have the "original" stock, to return the gun to "original condition". Of course, since it has had holes drilled in it to mount a scope, it is no longer in "original condition" anyway.

Or you could just have a cheekpiece added to your stock. Maybe one of those USGI ones, for the M1 Rifle. Something like this. http://www.redfordfilms.com/product...ASE&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Me, I don't plan on selling my guns, so having them in a condition that will not appeal to some mythical collector does not matter. I want them the way I need them. Stock's too long, I'll cut it. Too short, I'll add a recoil pad. Sights suck, I'll replace 'em. I've refinished a few stocks, to make them look prettier to my eyes.

My advice to you is to do what you think needs doing. After all, it is your rifle, and it needs to work for YOU - not somebody years down the road. Just realize that any modifications you make to a gun will lower resale value.

It's just like with a car. Suppose you had a pickup truck, but you really needed a flatbed. So you take the cargo bed off the truck and build a flatbed out of lumber. It works great for you, for all the time you need it. But when you go to sell the truck, it will be harder to sell than one that still had the cargo bed on it.
  19. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Oh, and according to my Serial Number list, your gun was made in 1953.
  20. Hannie

Hannie New Member

Thank you so much for the info. I agree with you, would rather sell my wife than my guns :) I need to use it and therefore have no problem to change it to a workable rifle. Thanks Alpo