Need info on Husqvarna 30 06

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JONNYD, Sep 15, 2008.

1. artabr

artabr New Member

JonnyD, I've gotta go with everybody else. I would leave it as is. It's a beautiful seasoned looking rifle that will only lose its value if you refinish it. This is the condition your dad left it in, I wouldn't mess with it. ;) :)

Welcome to the forum.

Art
  2. Hannie

Hannie New Member

Hi guys. Im a South African owning a 30-06 Husqvarna, serial 159964. Does anyone have info on this rifle and what it is worth? I have problems with the stock / scope hight. seems like the rifle was build for open sight shooting only.
    Took it to a gunsmith a week ago to mount a ajustable cheek piece.... just saw the posts today were the guys say it is not advisable to modify the rifle :confused:
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Hannie, what it is is, collectors want their guns in as close to original condition as possible. If you make any modifications to your gun, the "collector value" goes away. Truthfully, I don't know of anybody collecting Huskies. Well, aside from me, that is. :)

Anyway, you're right. The rifle was designed to be used with iron sights, and when you mount a scope on it the scope is too high to see comfortably with your head in the correct position on the stock. The only solution is to get a higher stock.

You can have another stock made, with a higher cheekpiece, saving your original stock so that, if sometime in the future, some collector wants to buy it, then you still have the "original" stock, to return the gun to "original condition". Of course, since it has had holes drilled in it to mount a scope, it is no longer in "original condition" anyway.

Or you could just have a cheekpiece added to your stock. Maybe one of those USGI ones, for the M1 Rifle. Something like this. http://www.redfordfilms.com/product...ASE&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Me, I don't plan on selling my guns, so having them in a condition that will not appeal to some mythical collector does not matter. I want them the way I need them. Stock's too long, I'll cut it. Too short, I'll add a recoil pad. Sights suck, I'll replace 'em. I've refinished a few stocks, to make them look prettier to my eyes.

My advice to you is to do what you think needs doing. After all, it is your rifle, and it needs to work for YOU - not somebody years down the road. Just realize that any modifications you make to a gun will lower resale value.

It's just like with a car. Suppose you had a pickup truck, but you really needed a flatbed. So you take the cargo bed off the truck and build a flatbed out of lumber. It works great for you, for all the time you need it. But when you go to sell the truck, it will be harder to sell than one that still had the cargo bed on it.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Oh, and according to my Serial Number list, your gun was made in 1953.
  5. Hannie

Hannie New Member

Thank you so much for the info. I agree with you, would rather sell my wife than my guns :) I need to use it and therefore have no problem to change it to a workable rifle. Thanks Alpo
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Then there is the heathen crowd like me who will clean, repair and refinish an old rifle to keep it in shooting condition. Great Grandpa shot it and I expect to be able to shoot it too and someday whoever gets it after me, probably my nephew, I expect him to shoot them till they can't be fixed anymore. I don't sell my guns and the sentimental value is still there for me but I feel closer to my dad, grandpa and great grandpa when their guns go bang and I hit the mark with them. Antique guys hate guys like me. :D
  7. CJKarl

CJKarl New Member

30-06 Husky has been and still is my dads # deer gun. Me and my brother are going to have to fight over it some day....or maybe we can share.
  8. oldsailor

oldsailor New Member

What a great forum. My Husqvarna markings appears to be identical to pics posted by johnnyD. My serial number is 135659. Could someone please supply some info on this fantastic rifle, like year and value.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That one was made in '52.
  10. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

I agree 100% with the others who have advised you not to refinish it. The gun is beautiful as -- it has the patina of history. Clean it gently, reglue that crack if it needs it, and oil the metal.
  11. oldsailor

oldsailor New Member

That's great - thanks so much for the info. I have been hunting with this rifle for 25 years and my Dad many years before that. We have taken many moose, deer and the odd elk with this rifle and it has proven to be deadly accurate. I never take it to the range unless it has been knocked or when I put a new scope on it.
  12. Obiwill

Obiwill New Member

I am another first timer on TFF, have inherited a Husqvarna 30-06, mauser bolt action, se#128660, with an ingraved crown and letter above the word Sweden, above the chamber. I was wondering what I could find out about this rifle from my grandfather. My father said that it was bought in the 50's. It is of great personal value to me and would like to be able to keep my own son's informed of the gun, year made, any model that could be identified. I will try to get good pictures to post.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It was made in 1951. Based on year and caliber it is either a 640, a 1000 or an 1100. The main differences in those three seem to be the stock.
  14. Duckboats

Duckboats New Member

Alpo, can you tell me what year/model 138xxx would be? Also, anyone know where I can get a rear sight (dovetail) for one? I'm also curious if there is an online manual somewhere.
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It was made in 1952. As for models, the same answer. 640s were made from '44 to '53, while 1000s and 1100s were made from '50 to '53. Caliber might help to tell which of the three.