Need info on Marlin 336

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by indigo, Feb 8, 2005.

1. indigo

indigo New Member

I have a Marlin 336 with r.c. stamped on the barrel. It was manufactured in 1966, so it has the blasted flat receiver top. It has a straight grip, rounded end lever loop, gold plated trigger and saddle ring. Caliber is .30-30. I can find no information on this rifle. It isn't listed in a Marlin Firearms history book, which is funny since it states that everything Marlin ever made is listed there. Perhaps I missed it, nevertheless, other than owning the rifle, I can't find any evidence it ever existed. Does anyone have any information on this particular variation?
  2. Ronald J. Snow

Ronald J. Snow New Member

I cannot find it written anywhere but I have always understood that RC stands for Regular Carbine. I have a 336SC and the SC stands for Sporting Carbine. That is as good as I can come up with. RJSnow
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

From The 2004 Standard Catalog of Firearms" it states:

Model 336 Carbine (R.C. Regular Carbine)
    This model was introduced in 1948 and was an improved version of the Model 36. It features a new type round bolt, chrome plated with improved extractor and resesigned cartridge carrier that improved feeding. It was chambered for the 30-30 WCF and .32 Special cartridges and has a 20" round tapered barrel with Ballard type rifling. The finish is blued, with the receiver top matted to reduce reflections. The pistol grip stock and semi-beavertail forend are of American walnut. It features Rocky Mountain-style rear and bead front sights, and the hammer is lowered to facilitate scope mounting.

Exc. $285
    VG $200
    Gd $175
    Fair $125
    Poor $100

I would be a little leary of the gold plated trigger. There are only a few Model 336's listed (and there are many variations) with this trigger and the RC is NOT one of them. It may be a replacement!

Edited by Inplanotx to change SC to RC in the next to last sentence.
  4. Ronald J. Snow

inplanotx: In Doug Murray's book, The 336 Marlin, on page Two-9, he states that the 336SC came with the gold trigger from 1960 until 1963 at which time this version was dicontinued.

My sister has two of the newer 336SC model and I will check with her to see what years they were made and if either has a gold trigger. RJSnow
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You are correct, the 'SC' did come with a gold trigger, however the 'RC' did NOT!!! I am talking about the RC not the SC! The Maurader also had a gold trigger. Appears I had a typo in my first reply. I have edited it.
  6. Ronald J. Snow

Interestingly, a customer of mine from Sebago, Maine just brought in a Marlin 336RC, 35 Remington caliber with pistol grig and serial number beginning in AA (1965) and it does have a gold trigger in it.

Nothing that I see on a Marlin or Winchester lever surprises me after dealing with new and used firearms on a retail basis since 1981.

RJSnow
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Interesting since the .35 Remington was introduced in the 336C in 1952. The 336 RC was only in 30-30 and 32 Special. The model designation was changed in 1951!!!!!
  8. indigo

indigo New Member

Okay, first of all, to my understanding, which is based on Lt. Col. William S. Brophy's book, Marlin Firearms: A History of the Guns and the Company that Made Them, there was never an R.C. model. I did say that r.c. is stamped on the barrel, but that was how the original 336, the 336 Carbine, was stamped. In '51 the 336 Carbine was changed to the 336C, but clearly, since I own a 336 manufactured in '66 and r.c. is stamped on the barrel, then the r.c. designation must have persisted at least until that year even though the company recognized it as a 336C. My foremost question about the rifle isn't the gold trigger. They were added to the line in '59 and continued until '82. I'm not even concerned about the saddle ring, since it seems Marlin added them to various rifles periodically with no rhyme or reason. What does concern me is the straight grip. All 336C's were supposed to have had pistol grips. Inside and out it is a 336C, all except that grip. Nowhere that I have seen is this rifle listed. I'm wondering if rifles were available through a Marlin custom shop at that time. It's the only thing that makes since to me.

Also, on a sidenote, the book states that in '53 .35 Rem was added to the 336C line (which would have had r.c. on the barrel).
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Guess it all depends on which author you want to believe now, don't it!
  10. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi indigo.....welcome to TFF.

Well, you've handed us a real puzzler! :)

The thing that confuses me about your rifle is the combination of the straight grip and the rounded end lever loop.

Every straight grip 336 I've ever seen (or ever even heard of) had the squared off end on the lever.

Are you sure of the 1966 manufacture date? The only straight stock 336s that I can find listed made in .30-30 in 1966 were the 336T (Texan), 336DT (DeLuxe Texan), and the 336 "Marauder" (a Texan with a 16.25" bbl and gold trigger). But........I believe they all had the squareback lever loop.
  11. Ronald J. Snow

Again I referenced Murray's book, The 336 Marlin and find photos of straight gripped stocks with rounded levers on models 336T made prior to 1971 (pg. Two-16), the Deluxe Texan (pg. Two-18), the 336 Magnum (pg. Twp-20) and the 336 Marauder (pg. Two-22). It is also interesting to note that the Marlin 444 (pg. Two-24) was introduced with a straight grip and rounded lever.

I just thought to look in my box of misc. parts and found a Marlin straight grip lever that is rounded that came off a 336RC that was scrapped.

RJSnow
  12. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK Ronald. I stand corrected. I was going by the pictures in The 2003 Standard Catalog of Firearms, pg. 701, and those straight stock Marlins that I've seen and handled.......all of which had the squareback lever.

Sounds like Marlin followed the old Colt practice of using whatever was leftover in their parts bin to build their guns.... :D
  13. Deuce7

Deuce7 New Member

Marlin made a 336 RC with a saddle ring, straight grip stock and gold plated trigger. They also had a rounded lever. This was a less common model than other 336's but never built from spare parts, Marlin has never had bad years or junk. Serial number beginning with ADxxx. Last year was 1968. The saddle ring was ommitted in 1971. They do exist and I personally own one and it 100% factory original. Take care and have a merry christmas!!!!
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  14. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I don't think that Ron was meaning that the RC was built from scrap, but instead, that the 336RC was a project that was discontinued, ie: scrapped. In other words, they used to make them, now they don't.
  15. paladin

paladin New Member

I have a 336 RC that was mfg. in 1953. As I understand from reading an old Gun Digest the RC has a magazine capacity of 6 rounds while the SC has what is referred to as a 2/3 magazine that holds 5 rounds. Appearance is also slightly different.