Need info on Marlin 336

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by indigo, Feb 8, 2005.

1. paladin

paladin New Member

My 1953 barrel is stamped: "MODEL 336 R.C. - CAL.35 REM."
  2. PEIdude

PEIdude New Member

"My barrel is stamped: "MODEL 336 R.C. - CAL.35 REM." " I'm not sure what year it was made. Is that stamped on the gun some where?

I'm new to the forms here so please bare with me.

I'm looking for a stock for my Marlin 336 RC - Cal. 35 Rem. Can anyone tell how I could find one please.

I'm a Cannuck if that helps. ON the east coast.
  3. CBudFrggy

CBudFrggy New Member

New girl here, so please be gentle. ;)

I bought a Marlin 336 RC 35 Remington today with my hubby at the gun show. Model # AC47184. Does anyone know how old it is? It has the pistol grip and gold trigger. I'm going hog hunting in November, and expect this will be a good little brush gun. Thanks in advance for your input.
  4. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I get 1967, thats a nice rifle you have there, I got two of them love them both.Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  5. CBudFrggy

CBudFrggy New Member

Thanks so much. I paid $425, so hope I didn't spend too much. I have more experience with handguns.
  6. marscar

marscar New Member

hi indigo i had just bought this kind of 336rc i picked it up this morning and started to reserch it when i found this forum and then your post. you sounded like you are discribing the gun i just bought-straight grip-saddle ring-rounded lever- 30-30 i just got started so could you share what know about this rifle? thanks, marscar
  7. CBudFrggy

CBudFrggy New Member

Took it hunting...

and bagged my first hog! :)

I bore-sighted it at home, dialed it in at the range, and then went hunting. I'm very happy, even if I think i overpaid.
  8. Smokin_Gun

Smokin_Gun New Member

CBudFrggy, pleased to make yur acquaintance. You can't put a price on happiness and that wild bore is proof. Congrads on the Rifle and the hunt trophy...

I'm thinkin' of doin' a trade for a first year Marlin 336A 1948 .30-30 ... any Idea of the $ value on this one? I may jus' get it reguardless as I jus' want one anyway, but do want to know it's worth.
    Thanks,
    SC
  9. xMZx

xMZx New Member

I'm new to the forum as well as shooting. My grandfather passed away some time ago and he had a Marlin 336 32. Cal special. I only know that it is from 1951. What is the best source of information for it?
  10. 199er

199er New Member

11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

12. xMZx

xMZx New Member

Thanks for the help. I'm hoping I can take it to the range soon and see what it can do.
  13. KMG in Ca

KMG in Ca New Member

I am also new to this forum and do not much about guns in general.... My husband inherited a Marlin 336 RC and I am hoping to get info on it. It is a straight barrel. The only numbers I can find are Marlin 336 RC Cal .35 Rem and AC60480 (which is on the barrel, stock and the piston. So I am guessing that is the serial number) From what I can tell, it is a 35 caliber 6 shot lever action. It also does have the gold trigger which I saw a lot of discussion on. How can I tell what yr it was made in and if it has any value at all? The serial number does not seem to match anything I can find as to getting the manufacture date. HELP and Thanks for any info you can provide.
  14. 199er

199er New Member

KMG in Ca:

AC60480 is the serial number of your marlin 336, the prefix "AC" indicates it was made in 1967.

Here is a link to Marlin serial #s from 1948-1968;

http://www.savage99.com/marlin336_dates.htm

The gold trigger on the 336 Marlin is a nice premium because all Marlins weren't manufactured with them, but it is not a large factor in the overall value of the weapon.

Your 336 in .35 caliber is a plus also because less of these were/are made than in 30-30 caliber. This places them in slightly more of a demand than the 30-30 even though 35 cal ammo is more costly but again not a not a huge premium over the 30-30.

Given the above, the real value of your Marlin will depend on the it's functional and esthetic condition which we couldn't begin to determine without a few close up photos of the various parts of the weapon (stock, receiver, forend, barrel, sights plus the top and bottom of the rifle). Keep in mind any scratches on the wood and metal, any blueing beginning to show wear, plus any presence of rust and the degree of it (including in the bore)as well as any missing parts (such as the rear sight or front sight hood) will deminish the overall value. Likewise for any feeding/extraction problems with the weapon.

Keep in mind all asking prices are subjective. Also, any and all plus's and minus's of your weapon are points to barter over in trying to arrive at a selling point both can agree on as is the fact of just how much the perspective buyer actually wants the weapon.

Generally if the internal parts and bore are in good shape and the weapon shows only 'fair wear and tear' esthetically (overall about in 90% condition or better) then the value should be between $375 to to $400 maybe as high as $425. New 336c Marlins in .35 caliber can be found for generally $499 to $525 (+ or -).

Hope this info is helpful too you and good luck.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  15. KMG in Ca

KMG in Ca New Member

Thank you so much for the info you provided.. I just have one seemingly stupid question. How can I find the serial number on it then?