Need info on my Colt 38 DA

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by scothman, Feb 1, 2012.

1. scothman

scothman New Member

I just came by a Colt 38 DA and would like to get what info. on that I can.
    The ser. # 287681.
    It is in fair to good shape and appears to be fire able. would have a gunsmith check it first though.
    I would like to come by some original grips in better shape than the ones on it now if they are the right ones.
    I tried to post pictures but it seems that it did not work.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Just based on that limited amount of information, I believe you have a Colt Model of 1903 New Navy (or New Army) revolver made in 1907. Since you don't list the markings on the bottom of the butt of the revolver, that's about all the information there is. Estimated value is impossible without good clear pictures.

To post pictures, use the 'Go Advanced' button on the reply screen and click the paper clip icon to add image files from your computer to your post.
  3. scothman

scothman New Member

Here are some pictures of the pistol.

Attached Files:

4. scothman

scothman New Member

one more picture

Attached Files:

5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Colt called that gun the "New Army and Navy revolver" and it was officially adopted by both services. But that gun is a civilian model, not military, made (as SC says) in 1907. Colt sold its commercial guns as the "Army Model" and the "Navy Model", differing only in the grip design (most service revolvers had wood grips). That one is the "Army" version.

I can't read the initial stamped in the butt; they might add to the value.

Generally, those guns don't bring high dollars mostly because they are fragile and have a well deserved reputation for breaking parts and going out of time. Few parts are available and even fewer gunsmiths will work on them. Colt has no parts and won't even attempt to repair them. As is, that gun would probably bring about $200-250.

For grips, try http://www.gungrip.com/detail_G8__22__colt Grips.html for good repros, but note that there is some variation in those guns in regard to butt length front to back. Check the picture closely but if the grips don't fit you can return them if you have not altered them.

Jim